Some Navy Patches

el_jefe52

Just thought I'd post some patches from back in the 70's that I got back then.

When I enlisted in the Navy back in '72, I joined under the CACHE program (later changed to the Delayed Enlistement Program or DEP). This means that I didn't have to ship out to RTC for 2 weeks (time allowed varied).

Supposedly, the Recruiter was to give this patch to the enlistee, but it seldom happened. I didn't know about these patches until '77 when I started working in a Reserve Recruiting Command. My friend was the regular Navy Recruiter and gave me the patches.

Robin

post-4254-1223583209.jpg

Besides the CACHE & DEP patches, the Navy Recruiting Command had "year" patches for the year the sailor enlisted. Here are a few of them, I have the complete set; '72 thru 81, but was unable to find some of them. So, here are the ones I found.

post-4254-1223583540.jpg

post-4254-1223583575.jpg

The '81 patch, and the Hometown Recruiter patch. This patch was given to new enlistees on the CACHE or DEP program who refered an applicant who actually enlisted.

post-4254-1223583698.jpg

post-4254-1223583756.jpg

I spent one year at NAS Dallas and managed to grab up one of the patches. Pretty rare, as very few people at NAS Dallas were even aware of it's existance.

Also, here's the patch from the USS Nicholson DD-982. The ship was named after two brothers, James & David Nicholson (my family is decended from David Nicholson if I recall). I contacted the ship back in '82 and asked for a patch as it's named for one of my ancestors. The captain of the ship sent me the patch listed, as well as the Commissioning Ceremony book autographed by the captain & his XO. They also made me an honorary Plank Owner of the ship (have the certificate around somewhere).

post-4254-1223584603.jpg

post-4254-1223584613.jpg

Here's the patch from NTC Great Lakes, Illinois where I spent the 1st 4 years of my enlistment at (and where 3 of my kids were born).

post-4254-1223584693.jpg

Last, but not least, is the patch from RTC Orlando, Florida. I went thru the Personnelman "A" School at Orlando in November & December of '72.

post-4254-1223584785.jpg