Fallschirmjager Helmet bring back.

JimD

A nice unaltered M38 brought back by Sgt. Lucien Willoughby, 89th Chemical Mortar Battalion. It has an interesting US Customs stamp from US Customs in Dallas Texas on the liner. The front two bolts are slotted with no vent holes while the rear two are slotted with vent hols. The name BOHNEMANN is written on the liner. I'd love to track down the paratrooper but my research skills drop off dramatically once a non-American is the subject. The photo of Sgt. Willoughby is from The World War II Memoirs of Ned Cartledge published by Sunflower University Press in 2001.

The 89th Chem Mortar Bn was activated in Nov. 1943 and arrived in the UK December 1944 and in France Feb. 1945. It was involved in the Central Europe and Rhineland Campaigns and found itself on the Elbe River at war's end.

This is a nice untouched late war Fallschirmjager helmet direct from the Veteran's family (by way of my friend Larry Stewart of Stewart's Military Antiques here in sunny Arizona). I appreciate Sgt. Willoughby's service. I also appreciate his eye for nice war souvenirs.

post-2661-0-95698100-1486248389.jpg

post-2661-0-88944600-1486248402.jpg post-2661-0-77102000-1486248423.jpg

USCapturephotos

Oh wow JimD. What a great piece. I hope to add a GI bring back FJ helmet to my collection one day. I've been having some luck recently getting some good GI bring back SS insignia but an FJ helmet still eludes me.

Thanks for sharing the helmet and the photo of Sgt. Willoughby.

Paul

Hi Paul.

I guess they are all veteran bring backs (or most) but I get what you are saying. It is really nice, and special, to be able to attribute the item to an actual serviceman or servicewoman.

JIm

Concernedfuturedogface

Did some digging and found two names, a friedrich Bohnemann and a max Bohnemann. One died, one is still missing, both died in Poland in 1944, any correlation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk