Attack Squadron 205 project

hink441

Here is my project. I have been looking for an A-6 HGU-33 helmet for a restoration. Found this one on eBay. I knew it was from VA-205 but I did not know if it was from the A-7 or A-6 days though. When it arrived I could see the previous markings on the helmet. The helmet has VA-75 Sunday Punchers faded markings on the tape job. Great, it was used by an A-6 Pilot or B/N.

I started with just a shell, chin and nape straps, and O2 fittings. Everything else was added by me, even the mask (which I am sure is not correct) was found elsewhere!! Had fun with this one. I think I should find another plain white taped visor housing instead of the checkerboard one that is on now.

Here are some pics.

post-10825-0-93930800-1486168879_thumb.jpeg

In this shot you can see the previous markings from the VA-75 tape job. Still need a grommet and Comm. gear.

post-10825-0-89313800-1486169142_thumb.jpeg

It was even named.

post-10825-0-03123100-1486169244_thumb.jpeg

I put in a Oregon Aero Zetaliner II. Really nice and comfortable liner. Hard to see with this picture, sorry.

post-10825-0-53882000-1486169379_thumb.jpeg

Last pic. Still have some work to do.

post-10825-0-94232900-1486169484_thumb.jpeg

I guess the tape on the visor housing is from 75 as well? You can probably get the comm cord from flighthelmet.com and I see them on ebay pretty often too.

I guess the tape on the visor housing is from 75 as well? You can probably get the comm cord from flighthelmet.com and I see them on ebay pretty often too.

Thanks for the comm cord info. The tape on the visor housing is not from VA-75. It was purchased by me and added to this helmet.

TLeo, I thought you had a VA-205 helmet at one time, can you tell me what their visor housing looked like? I really don't know if I should restore this helmet in VA-75 or VA-205 colors???

Hers is a picture of a VA-75 helmet.

post-10825-0-19017800-1486227045.jpeg

Thanks for the comm cord info. The tape on the visor housing is not from VA-75. It was purchased by me and added to this helmet.

TLeo, I thought you had a VA-205 helmet at one time, can you tell me what their visor housing looked like? I really don't know if I should restore this helmet in VA-75 or VA-205 colors???

Hers is a picture of a VA-75 helmet.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The VA-205 helmet that I had a few years ago was a custom helmet made for one of the aviators. It had squadron decals on each side, on one side of the visor housing it had written in green script VA-205, and the whole thing was then clear coated. Someone then applied a taped green falcon on the back like yours.

northcoastaero

Just a few notes on the VA-205 PRK-37/P helmet shell:

-HGU-33/P is the designation for the single visor variant with a one piece leather covered form fit V-Tec liner with

a thin fiberglass backing. flighthelmet.com and aviationhelmets.com should have these liners.

-Were there additional holes above and below the three holes on each side for the single visor tracks? If so, a

side actuated dual visor assy. was used at some point in time. I am guessing that the A-7 Corsair II pilot would

have used a single visor assy. and the dual visor assy. used with the A-6 Intruder acft.? The visors for the dual

visor assy. would have a nose cut out for the MBU-12/P style oxygen mask. If you find that the dual visor assy.

was used with your helmet shell, there was the standard PRU-36/P dual visor assy. and another one with a laser

protective lens (green?) and a clear lens, both with the MBU-12/P style nose cut. Of course, there would be two

additional HGU- designations for the helmet!

-If keeping the single visor assy., a pair of transparent white (not yellow) visor side tracks would be needed. Also

need the lighter blue tapered (not the later taller blue or black) visor lock knob assy.

-The Gentex oxygen mask receiver plates on the helmet are the earlier style used with the PRK-37/P shell. The

later GENTEX (all capital letters) were introduced later on. Scott also made the receivers along with the helmet

shell and many other parts.

-97427 is the Gentex mfr. code. 92114 is the Sierra/Scott mfr. code.

-The PRK-37/P shell was manufactured in sizes medium, large, and extra large (special order).

-The communications cable used would be the CX-4708A/AIC, most likely made by Astrocom. Also need the

black rubber grommet and silver colored retainer question mark style clip.

-Black plastic ear cups with Velcro on the back were used along with black vinyl ear seals with a bump on the

bottom. Most likely made by Gentex or Scott. The ear cup foam was black with two layers and a Velcro type cloth

called Veltex glued to the top foam layer. The earphone elements were the H-87B/U with a silver colored front and

a black metal (not later plastic) back. The silver colored front would not have the three small rivets that were

introduced on the later elements. Most likely made by Astrocom. Also, the back of each ear cup would have a

rubber grommet for the earphone cable to run through.

-A gray colored skull cap was used to absorb sweat. Sizes M, L, or XL.

-The VA-205 helmet shell is most likely from the mid 1980s to the early 1990s.

-The mask used at this time with the A-7 and A-6 acft. would be the MBU-14/P variant of the MBU-12/P mask

with a green face piece and green hose, or a gray face piece with a green hose, or a gray face piece and a gray

hose. Made by Gentex or Scott. The gray color was introduced around 1986-87. A CRU-79/P oxygen

mini-regulator was installed in between the upper silicone soft green or gray hose and the lower high pressure

REDAR (R.E. Darling Co. Inc.) hose with a locking connector on the bottom with a single guide pin hole near the

bottom side. The CRU-79/P may have been made by Clifton Precision. There were other mfr's also. The earlier

green face piece mask would have used shiny J style offset bayonets to attach to the helmet. Later ones had a

dull finish. The microphone element would be the M-94B/A or the M-101/AIC. The MBU-14/P used an AM-7067/A

amplifier on the outer nose instead of a connector as found on the MBU-12/P. The communications cable would

be the coiled type for the MBU-14/P with a U-179A/U plug for the amplifier. There would also be a straight

extension cable to the helmet cable, with PJ-292 and JJ-055 plugs that served as a break-away. The extension

cable would stay with the helmet. The U-172/U and U-173/U plugs were also used for the break-away, usually later

on though. The CRU-79/P would be covered with a sage green nylon mini-regulator pocket that had a zipper

closure and Velcro to attach to the SV-2B survival vest or the MA-2 (PCU-33/P) torso parachute harness modified

with survival gear pockets. Two snaps were usually added to the Velcro when attached to the modified MA-2

harness. There was also a parachute rigger made sage green nylon pouch/cover for the mask face piece. A snap

was placed on the top corner to attach to the snap found on the shoulder of the MA-2 harness. Velcro was sewn

along the bottom of the pouch for the upper hose to exit. I have also seen the pouch made with Velcro along the

top with a snap installed in the corner and a hole cut out on the bottom for the hose.

-The olive drab green nylon helmet bag was used at this time. A heavy duty brass metal zipper and then later

on a green nylon zipper. Other items can be stowed in the bag such as an olive drab green water flask; NATOPS

checklist with or without the MXU-163/P aluminum (early) or the all plastic later knee board, both having a

rectangular light housing for the 1980s, GS/FRP-2 sage green Nomex flight gloves; possibly a bag with

navigational instruments (NAV bag); etc.

Hope this helps.

Wow NorthCoastAero,

Thank you for your detailed and well thought out reply. Loaded with so much valuable info that I will definetly put to good use!!

Using the info you provided, I believe this helmet had the dual visor mounted at some time. Not sure if I will change the configuration to the dual visor or not ??

Thanks to all

Chris