MA-1 Help Needed from our Jet Age members

Scarecrow

Not being a Jet Age collector, need a little advice/knowledge from our more experienced collectors. I have a MA-1 flight jacket that I would like to put some patches on. My question, is there a proper way/area to sew them on the jacket? I know during WWII AAF squadron or group patches were generally sewn on the left side but not sure about 50's-60's. And would it be appropriate to sew the two patches pictured or more appropriately just one. The PAF patch is about 3", while the SAC patch is a bit smaller (SSI?). If one is more appropriate, which is the better patch to affix? Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

post-23999-0-16803200-1486056619.jpg

Both are Command patches...so it would not be correct to have both command patches sewn on...A Command patch would be on the right breast ..what year is your MA-1....later MA-1s might not have had the large PACAF patch and early ones might not have had the smaller SAC patch

to give you an idea...most 50's 60's jacket were not patched out...name tag on left breast and command patch on right side...occasionally you will find a Squadron patch on the right shoulder...left shoulder, on early MA-1s and L-2Bs had the Hap Arnold United States Air Force decal ...later the Group patch would go on the right shoulder and the Squadron patch on the left shoulder

post-155518-0-13639000-1486072252_thumb.jpg

Phantomfixer,

First thanks for the great info! I believe the jacket I have is an early one as it has the USAF decal on the left shoulder. This gentleman was a WWII pilot (an Ace) who made the Air Force his career. He was Director of Information for Air Forces Europe during the Berlin Air Lift. Then served with the Strategic Air Command's Public Information program and later was Director of Information for Pacific Air Forces during the Vietnam war. I believe he retired from the USAF in either 1971 or 1972. So which of the two patches, in your opinion, would be the more appropriate one to display on the jacket?

Again thanks for your input, greatly appreciated,

Paul