Tintype of a German Fokker Dr.I 577/17 Triplane

kanemono

This tintype is of a German Fokker Dr.I 577/17 Tri-plane which was flown by Lt. Rudolf Klimke from Jasta 27. Klimke was an Ace with 17 victory's. A tintype is a tin plate which is exposed so it is one-of-a- kind. The anchor was Klimke’s symbol. The tintype was brought home by Edward J. Reed who served in France from July 15, 1918 to April 30, 1919 as a mechanic in the 13th Company, 4th Regiment, Air Service Mechanics. The tintype is 3" x 4 1/2" with the image reversed. The large image shows the tri-plane's details. The other photo is of Klimke.

Dick

post-9487-0-61139000-1485981942.jpg

post-9487-0-95374900-1485981950_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-27534900-1485981958.jpg

Pretty cool! Interesting that at this late stage a tintype was taken...I know they were still done n the 1920's at fairs and such...but never expected to see an outdoor one from WWI taken in Europe.

I thought it was pretty unique. Here is the name scratched on the back of the tintype. I think it might be the photographer.

post-9487-0-35901900-1485986309_thumb.jpg

Tintypes/ferrotypes were still used early in the 20th century and often by "traveling" or "street" photographers, since it was possible to produce the final product very quickly. They were somewhat like the Polaroid "instant" cameras of their day, which is why the image is reversed (as there was never a negative or separate print made, the image was produced directly on the tin plate). The reversed image is a characteristic of this photographic process... all tintypes/ferrotypes should display this trait (unless, for whatever reason, they were produced using a film negative).

It's a very cool image of a historic plane. I wonder if these types of images were sold as souvenir photos or if the soldier had a photographer take a picture of this particular plane. Either way, it's a neat piece!

"The reversed image is a characteristic of this photographic process... all tintypes/ferrotypes should display this trait (unless, for whatever reason, they were produced using a film negative)."

Actually there were lenses that could be used to reverse the image (very unusual and EXPENSIVE).

Also, this is a characteristic (not mirror image) that helps to identify a COPY image. A copy image will also usually show some loss in details.

With that being said, this is a GREAT image!

Scott

Actually there were lenses that could be used to reverse the image (very unusual and EXPENSIVE).

Also, this is a characteristic (not mirror image) that helps to identify a COPY image. A copy image will also usually show some loss in details.

With that being said, this is a GREAT image!

Scott

Scott,

I'll have to check into the antique lenses used to correct the image to proper orientation. I haven't come across those before, which isn't terribly surprising considering I haven't dabbled too much in 19th century style photographic techniques. However, I would have to imagine these types of lenses weren't the norm, and likely not commonly utilized by most photographers just looking to pay the bills selling cheap photographs to anyone that would buy them.

Also, what characteristic are you talking about? It's a bit unclear (at least to me) what were trying to say. This image obviously has a reversed orientation, as indicated in the original post. Are you trying to say that a properly oriented tintype/ferrotype is an indication that it is a copy or was made with a special lens?

Scott,

I'll have to check into the antique lenses used to correct the image to proper orientation. I haven't come across those before, which isn't terribly surprising considering I haven't dabbled too much in 19th century style photographic techniques. However, I would have to imagine these types of lenses weren't the norm, and likely not commonly utilized by most photographers just looking to pay the bills selling cheap photographs to anyone that would buy them.

Also, what characteristic are you talking about? It's a bit unclear (at least to me) what were trying to say. This image obviously has a reversed orientation, as indicated in the original post. Are you trying to say that a properly oriented tintype/ferrotype is an indication that it is a copy or was made with a special lens?

Yes, there were ways to correct the "mirror effect"-- I am much more of an image guy than a camera guy; so I cannot provide specifics. In my collecting I have read about photographers who corrected the mirror effect-- not sure if it was a complete lens or just a mirror or prism. IT WAS NOT VERY COMMON.

Tintypes and daguerreotypes that are NOT mirrored usually receive a closer inspection from collectors as most non-mirror images are actually copy images (a photo of a photo).

Hope this explanation is better?

Scott

Scott,

Seems like we were mixing up terms. In my post above, I was using "reversed" in the same context as you were using "mirrored". In other words, when I said "reversed image" and you said "mirrored image" we were talking about the same thing. However, you seem to be using the term "reversed image" as an indication that the image has the proper, non-mirrored orientation. LOL.

I totally agree with everything you stated. I mostly mess with 20th century images/photographs, so it's certainly possible my terminology for tintypes/ferrotypes isn't 100% accurate B)

• 1 month later...
RANDALL 1953

Interesting to know that Fokker is still in business today. My wife works in a aerospace company and they do business with Fokker.