Id'ed M-450 from Avenger gunner.

VenitHora

I thought I would share an M-450 flying helmet I got from the daughter of the veteran. Her father was a rear gunner on an Avenger in VT-22 flying off the USS Independance in 1943. VT-22 was part of Air Group 22 and was the first Air Group stationed aboard the Independance. The gunner wore this helmet on raids over Wake Island, Rabaul and the Gilbert Islands including during the Battle of Tarawa.
The helmet is an M-450 with rigger added chamois sponge rubber cups with lots of wear from flying time. The man later trained for night flying which is why he has red lenses in the goggles.
Instead of stenciling his name on the helmet and goggles, he used his nickname "Jitterbug" which he got because he loved to dance.

post-8296-0-65290900-1485934833.png

Here is a picture of the veteran in his dress uniform. He was accepted for pilot training after his first tour of duty but the war ended before he could complete the course.

post-8296-0-49957100-1486000108.png

Here is a photo of other items from the same veteran. The grouping includes his good conduct medal, air crew wings, a diary he kept, photos of the squadron, training manuals, maps of Tarawa and his converse sneakers.

post-8296-0-54384700-1486000710.png

That's way cool.

I know what you mean, though, I've taken pictures and written up this and that before about things that people ought to find interesting, not long ago a gold star mother's pin that i was able to identify, nobody found it as interesting as i did apparently. Oh well, i like my stuff just fine.

Thanks, Garandomatic.

I'm glad you like it. I guess as long as we enjoy our own stuff it's okay? :) Your gold star pin sounds very cool too. I will have to look for it!

VenitHora,

I've been to your web site many times, it is excellent and I recommend it to all Forum members.

This is an outstanding grouping, thanks for sharing it. Maybe you could show us Art Singer's flight suit as well?

Best regards, Paul (pilotsmanyourplanes.com)

Thanks Navybean, I appreciate it!

Paul, I have been to your great website many, many times and have learned A LOT from it.

I will be posting some more of my Navy stuff in the future.

Amazing connection to the past. It's amazing to hold a piece of history in your hands and imagine the things it went through. If only they could talk!

Great grouping!!! Very cool, and those old Converse sneakers are pretty neat as well. I'm sure it's awesome to hold the helmet in your hands and imagine where it was 70+ years ago.

Don't worry about any lack of response, it doesn't mean your grouping is any less impressive. I've posted several things on this forum that are incredibly rare or seen nowhere else on the internet, and received a lackluster response for those items. If you like it and enjoy having it in your collection, at the end of the day that is really all that matters...

I love your group! The helmet is fantastic and the red lenses are very interesting.

By the way, the picture of your veteran standing with his shipmate was used in a previous thread discussing the pistol shoulder holster he is wearing. Do you happen to have the holster in the picture?? Would love to see any additional items you have from this group!!

Here is a link to an older thread about Navy shoulder holsters. If you scroll down on the provided link you will see your picture was instrumental in determining the earliest usage of this type of holster.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175474-us-navy-victory-model-shoulder-holster/?hl=%2Bnorfolk+%2Bholster

Chris

Thanks for the comments.

Hink441, sadly I do not have the holster. The veteran got rid of most of his stuff soon after the war but these items were found in the attic much later.

I love your group! The helmet is fantastic and the red lenses are very interesting.

By the way, the picture of your veteran standing with his shipmate was used in a previous thread discussing the pistol shoulder holster he is wearing. Do you happen to have the holster in the picture?? Would love to see any additional items you have from this group!!

Here is a link to an older thread about Navy shoulder holsters. If you scroll down on the provided link you will see your picture was instrumental in determining the earliest usage of this type of holster.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175474-us-navy-victory-model-shoulder-holster/?hl=%2Bnorfolk+%2Bholster

Chris

Funny thing, I think the shoes are pretty darn special. The helmet is great but the shoes add the extra flare.

Your going to want to check out my chapter on Small Arms in Volume Two of my book. I have multiple pages dedicated to the holster highlighted here.

Funny thing, I think the shoes are pretty darn special. The helmet is great but the shoes add the extra flare.

Your going to want to check out my chapter on Small Arms in Volume Two of my book. I have multiple pages dedicated to the holster highlighted here.

Dustin any news when book will be available?

Cheers,

Jerry

btw. Jon of course this grouping is a top of the top. As Dustin wrote, I think this shoes are more rare than helmet :D