Army Navy E banner

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

Here are a few pictures of my most recent purchase a Army Navy E Banner with a Philadelphia Quartermaster depot stamp. This banner is 84" long and 44" wide at the hoist. Of special interest is the decorative stitching on the wreath, typical these banners were pieced together and machine sewn.

The Army Navy Efficiency award was given to industry and businesses that met certain criteria based on quality and production quotas. A total of 4283 companies received this award, about 5% of the 85,000 companies engaged in war work.

The army Navy award began in 1942 and replaced the Army 'A' award and Navy 'E' award from WW1.

post-160250-0-52434200-1485887709_thumb.jpg

post-160250-0-96528100-1485887722_thumb.jpg

trenchrat1918

Philadelphia Depot stamp and decorative stitching on the wreath along with hair from the furriest dog on the planet.

post-160250-0-29857100-1485887998_thumb.jpg

post-160250-0-19383000-1485888012_thumb.jpg

trenchrat1918

Very nice! I have one similar to the one you have. Any idea what company earned the flag?

Unfortunately I do not know where this one came from. I do have another that has a very loose attribution to Besser Block but unfortunately the history is lost with most of these.

Cool banner. By coincidence, I just picked up picked up one of the little silver Army Navy E pins in honor of my Grandad. He had one he earned doing war production work. Last I saw it, it was in my Dad's possession but I don't know what my Mom and brothers did with it when he passed away. Thanks for showing your banner.

Mikie

trenchrat1918

Cool banner.  By coincidence, I just picked up picked up one of the little silver Army Navy E  pins in honor of my Grandad.  He had one he earned doing war production work.  Last I saw it, it was in my Dad's possession but I don't know what my Mom and brothers did with it when he passed away. Thanks for showing your banner. 

Mikie

Mikie, that's awesome that you were able to find a way to connect with your grandfather. This banner isn't all that rare or valuable but it is a way for people like you and I to touch the past and connect over a shared interest.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yours is the first I have seen with the PQMD stamping like that. Most of mine that have a printed tag, or a block of the PQMD printed information.

These are neat flags, and one of my favorites!

trenchrat1918

Yours is the first I have seen with the PQMD stamping like that. Most of mine that have a printed tag, or a block of the PQMD printed information.

These are neat flags, and one of my favorites!

The other one that I have has the printed tag, I thought that the stamp was unusual also. I have another banner coming that is another 20" longer, it's a monster compared to this one.

really- wow, I can't wait to see that one! I have some "normal" sized ones and a few "half sized" (one from the lunchroom at Wiilys-Overland Jeep factory)

I love those banners and would love to add one to the museum, but I've not had any luck finding a good example...I found one about 5 years ago at military vehicle show, but the seller wanted $1200 for it, and I just can't see spending that much for one.

Mark sends