Cutdown M-14

hink441

Found this picture online. Not sure of where or when this picture was taken. That sure looks like a M-14 that has been cutdown. I have not seen one of these done this way. Ant thoughts of where, when and why??

Chris

post-10825-0-39769300-1485859516_thumb.jpeg

My USMC uncle did the same exact thing. He was in I Corps 1/3 66-67. Participated in numerous operations to include Operation Buffalo. They were issued the M-16s in the field and after first few firefights sent an "acquisition" party to Da Nang to "acquire" as many M-14s as they could. In this configuration he would jam the pistol grip into his hip, place his forward hand on top to hold it down and fire automatic. It was a technique to suppress or recon by fire a tree line, etc. It took a lot of strength to keep it from kicking/rising up. Also good for a meeting encounter where you had to get the first rounds of quickly. He was a machine gun squad leader so when they went to ground he was employing and/or firing the guns. Also reduces weight.

Good morning. Sent a copy of the picture to my uncle last night and asked him the purpose.

"File down the sear tape together two magazines so they can be flipped and you have a 40 round sub machine gun"

Bob Howard's (MOH) mini M14.

Is it me or does this weapon have a pistol grip? I have heard but never seen the squad automatic version of the M14 had such a grip. Can anyone confirm this?

Not sure when the picture was taken, but that appears to be a later SOCOM type model with a shortened barrel. Most likely based upon these weapons.

post-2641-0-27566600-1485990447_thumb.jpg

The Iron Brigade

Not sure when the picture was taken, but that appears to be a later SOCOM type model with a shortened barrel. Most likely based upon these weapons.

Robert L. Howard (Medal of Honor), CCC, MACVSOG, Vietnam.

Modified buttstock, shortened barrel and pistol grip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Howard

post-164190-0-13608000-1485991461.jpg

I have a friend who was in a marine CAP unit in 1967. He has a photo of himself in a guard tower carrying a shortened M14 - he told me they would load them with flechette rounds.

Best,

Bill K.

post-3807-0-46899300-1486069242_thumb.jpg

Australian SASR weapons, a shortened m14 with front grip is clearly visible.

Modified m14 would also appear late '80s in the hands of USN Seal. Either with added front grips or with Beretta stocks, but with full lenght barrel.