A small treasure - General Doolittle Christmas Card

pfrost

When I first came to UCLA as an undergraduate, some friends of my mom put me up for a few weeks in their house. He had been a quartermaster in the 8th AAF during WWII and her first husband had been a navigator flying B24s out of Italy (IIRC he took part in one or two of the Ploiesti raids). They remarried to each other and were very active in the USAF Association and became good friends with Gen Doolittle and his wife.

When I became a USAAF wing collector, they kindly gave me an old Christmas card from Gen. Doolittle. Not, exactly, a wing, but I think you all would appreciate it in this forum.

P

post-1519-0-76955800-1485814105_thumb.jpg

I had a chance to meet him just before he passed. They had invited him to an Xmas party at their home, but he was too sick to attend.

When I was a kid living in the Philippines (my dad was stationed at Cubi PT NAS), I had also had a chance to meet Pappy Boyington (he came through on a USO tour, IIRC). However, since I had just gotten a girlfriend, I missed out of meeting him to smooch with her.... sigh.

P

Patrick,

Pretty neat side item and a nice little piece of personal history, thanks for sharing.

Re: Boyington; However, since I had just gotten a girlfriend, I missed out of meeting him to smooch with her.... sigh. Happy to see you had your priorities right! :P

I once had a similar chance to meet Adolf Galland while in San Diego, with the same dilemma. -_-

Tim

I had a chance to meet him just before he passed. They had invited him to an Xmas party at their home, but he was too sick to attend.

When I was a kid living in the Philippines (my dad was stationed at Cubi PT NAS), I had also had a chance to meet Pappy Boyington (he came through on a USO tour, IIRC). However, since I had just gotten a girlfriend, I missed out of meeting him to smooch with her.... sigh.

P

I once had a chance to meet Boyington at an air show, but his table was packed with people waiting to see him. There was another table at it, and the veteran was sitting there alone. My dad and I walked up to him (this was maybe 1982-83?) and sure enough...it was Ensign George Gay! He was completely happy to at least talk to SOMEONE because Boyington was (as usual) stealing all the limelight... :D