Camo Painted ACH - Combat Used

BaselA

I acquired this helmet almost by accident, and it is the only one of its kind in my collection. I'm curious if any of the OIF/OEF/GWOT collectors can help me out with this one. It seems to be a combat used early model ACH with the veteran's name and nickname on either side. Does anyone recognize this type of camo pattern and can the approx. year/era it would have been used in be narrowed down?

post-40388-0-48217700-1485712676_thumb.jpg

post-40388-0-03229400-1485712692_thumb.jpg

Great helmet. If you look under the top round pad you should see a date of manufacture (my guess 04-06). As for the camo pattern, there tends to be no 'standard' to compare it to. At the same time, some smaller sized units painted them in the same way. Lots of guys who were able to paint their helmets would paint them in their own style as well, so you're not likely to find a match, but you may run across a random photo someday with a similar pattern. I've had this happen when researching a lid, I found a Navy EOD pic with the same setup/paint scheme.

As for the nickname and name on the outside you see this all the way from SF to AFSOC. Some guys write them on there some done. I don't think you need clarification that it is a small unit associated helmet (SF, EOD, etc) but I'm sure some others will weigh in here shortly with their ideas to help you pinpoint this.

I hope this helps and man it's a nice lid.

Red

Hello BaselA,

Very nice. Your helmet was produced by either Specialty Defense Systems or BAE Systems (BAE bought out SDS and took over their 2005 ACH contract). If there are any remnants of labels, SDS generally had one on the right side, while the later BAE had one on each side. The only sure way to tell other than that is to remove the center crown pad and look for mold markings...I would personally NOT recommend this as the issue pads tear very easily in well worn helmets like this.

The chinstrap looks to be an original SDS/BAE issue, it should be label marked on the rear "H" back pad webbing next to the Velcro. It would appear from the date on the buckle that it might be a 6-08 made, but you would have to confirm that marking for sure.

If all holds true and found to be original maker marked it should be a late BAE ACH. However be advised that the chinstraps along with the pads do get swapped out often as worn.

Agree with RedLeg on the camo.

Hope this helps.

Just to add here for clarification as well if found true. By the single label backing still showing it should be an SDS helmet with a possible 2008 replacement chinstrap. Removing the center pad would confirm helmet, however done with extreme care. If the markings on the chinstrap can be found it would verify it all for you...either way though, very nice.

All the best

RedLeg and pump - thanks very much for the detailed information. I'll probe the center pad to see if it's brittle. Like you both suggested, its usually better not to mess with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out these lids, very similar to your style.

Great pic - thanks for sharing. I've been searching high and low for one like this. These are most likely Rangers or Army SF during a training exercise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Great pic - thanks for sharing. I've been searching high and low for one like this. These are most likely Rangers or Army SF during a training exercise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, the caption is :

U.S. Special Forces Soldiers prepare to evacuate a man with mock wounds from a simulated roadside bomb at the Nevada Test and Training Range, north of Las Vegas, Oct. 21, 2009. Special forces units from all service branches and allied nations use the facilities at the range for various training exercises. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Michael R. Holzworth/Released)

Correct, the caption is :

U.S. Special Forces Soldiers prepare to evacuate a man with mock wounds from a simulated roadside bomb at the Nevada Test and Training Range, north of Las Vegas, Oct. 21, 2009. Special forces units from all service branches and allied nations use the facilities at the range for various training exercises. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Michael R. Holzworth/Released)

I couldn't find this caption, I'm glad you did! I just had the pic on a random site somewhere to use.