World War 2 Era Submarine Alarm Systems

kestrel452

v1a1sHF.jpgharlYT6.jpgHi,

I have a few questions about submarine alarms that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1) I've been searching far and wide for an H-9 klaxon and the corresponding vintage dark green contact maker. I know the klaxons aren't made anymore, but do you know if the newer-style Diving Alarm contact makers can still be purchased? I believe they're still color-coded with the same dark green housing.

2) What actually generated the sound for the General and Collision alarms to make them play over the loudspeakers? Was it a separate tone generator that the contact makers powered on? I'd like to set up a display that has each of the three contact makers and have them activate the genuine signal as would be heard on a 1940's submarine. I once toured a Balao-class submarine as a boy scout 15 years ago, and became fascinated with submarines ever since. As of now, I have no idea what parts I'd need to search for.

3) What make and model loudspeakers did they use on these 1940's-1950's subs to sound the General and Collision alarms? I see a lot of different ones on eBay, but it's not clear what period they're from.

Thank you so much, and help is greatly appreciated.

Try contacting submarine museums such as the U.S.S. Cod (SS-224). They may have some answers for you.

Hope this helps.

http://usscod.org/

Good suggestion. I've emailed pretty much every maritime museum that has a Balao-class submarine on display. Hopefully they can explain how the alarm systems work.

I'll share that information with you guys once I get it, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested :)

A while back I was looking at the website On Eternal Patrol about lost subs of WWII. The guy who maintains the site tries to put a photograph with each deceased crew member. I have a photo of several USS Amberjack guys that I copied and sent to him. I wrote back and forth with him a few times and always got a quick response. He is also with the Bowfin museum in Pearl Harbor.

Just in case you haven't already contacted this one. He might be able to help you.

Charles R. Hinman
Director of Education & Outreach
USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park
(808) 423-1341

I was a mechanic so other than knowing locations and general info about the alarms I don't have much in the way of knowledge. One of my really good friends was an ET and was the guy who did all the IC work on our boat. He might know more about what you're asking... then again this was in the early 2000's so things my have been much different than the time period you're asking about.

I'd love to have a klaxon in my house. I'd use it to wake my kids up every morning.

• 1 month later...

post-12574-0-67008300-1490199072_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I just say your post and wanted to give you some information. I just finished up a complete restoration on a H-9 klaxon and contact maker so i have some knowledge on the subject.

1. I emailed the Bowfin museum several times about questions I had regarding the Dive alarms and never received a reply. Hope you have better luck!

2. The contact makers are a cast brass face with an aluminum body. So you could repaint them green, red or yellow if you were able to find any.

3. Be very carful when buying a dive alarm klaxon via online auction. The WWII models are the Benjamin Electric type H-9. If you look at the date plate you should see a date of manufacture stamped on it and also a small "U.S." and an anchor stamped inside the small circle. Many people list more modern alarms as WWII dive alarms.

I have attached photos of my finished setup, the only thing a don't have is the brass plate with the marking of what alarm it is so i decided not to paint the contact maker face.

FYI: most folks always have the H-9 sitting upside down (like the photo you used) These alarms have oil cups on the electric motor shafts and need to be mounted/run in the position in my attached photos. In unrestored alarms the oil in these cups has turned to a thick muck and no longer lubes the shafts. But even if they did they won't help if the alarm is inverted.

Let me know if yo have any questions.

northcoastaero

Interesting information. I always thought that these would make a cool doorbell along

with an aircraft fire warning cowbell sounding alarm and a Ground Proximity Warning

System (GPWS). Alarm clocks too!