184 Aero Squadron Private Uniform WWI

pchepurko

I just picked this up at the MAX show. It is a privates tunic with 2 overseas strips and the shoulder patch to the 184 Aero Squadron. Does anyone know anything about this squadron? The tunic is name but I can't for the life of me read it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

post-2651-1223510139.jpg

The real question is whether or not the patch is original to the uniform. Even though the condition of the patch is consistent with the apparent condition of the uniform, one should exercise caveat when purchasing Air Service uniforms.

The real question is whether or not the patch is original to the uniform. Even though the condition of the patch is consistent with the apparent condition of the uniform, one should exercise caveat when purchasing Air Service uniforms.

Especially that particular style of patch. They used to be available in large quantities and are still rather common. They've always been a favorite of "uniform builders."

Provenance is key.

Kurt

Thank for the advise. Do you think the patch is original to the tunic?

There's no way to really tell. That's why with this type item you shouldn't pay more than the value of the "sum of the parts."

Either way, you have a nice looking coat that makes for a good display.

Kurt

The air service uniforms I have in my colelction usually have the squadron patch on the right shoulder. The left side was usually left open for a Corps or army patch or even a Air Service rondel patch. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth..Paul

184 Aero Squadron (Service):

December 1917; Kelly Field TX (Mobilized)

December 1917; Taliafero Field #3 TX

March 1918; Garden City NJ

June 1918; Port of Embarkation, Hoboken, NY

June 1918; France (Assigned to the Service of Supply)

March 1918; Garden City, NJ (Demobilized)

Actually, that looks like "Emrich" to me.

I must agree about the patch location. In my experience, these are usually found on the right. But, if this is a custom uniform, and it appears that it is, he may have added it later in the same location that most doughboys did.

G

I agree that "Emrich" is more likely... if that first letter were to have been a "G", in that style of script, then there would usually have been a back stroke of some kind at the bottom which then would lead to whatever next letter were to come.

That "E" is quite purposeful upward into an "m", no sign of any backward stroke at all.

So it seems, anyway.

Those patches used to be for sale in rubber banded stacks. Normally, The squadron patch would be on either the shoulder, or the upper right sleeve. I've seen examples of the prop and squadron numbers being cut out and sewen individually, or in block form.

That being said, I'm not saying it is a put together, but with the squadron numbers being on the left-hand sleeve, it does raise a red flag. But, on the other hand, with anything AEF, never say never! Your best hope is to be able to research the name (can be dicey) but if he's tracable to the unit, then you have a winner.

John

• 9 years later...

Greetings!

Found this looking through old posts. FYI - in my piles of old photographs I have a couple unnamed ones that show Air Service men with the squadron numbers on the left shoulder. I have one uniform in my collection from the 81st Aero Squadron with the patch on the left, also unnamed. If the uniform was tailor made, chances are the patch was too. The prop and numbers on this look a bit different from the "issue" style patches I have. MHJ

Too Much WW1 Militaria

The air service uniforms I have in my colelction usually have the squadron patch on the right shoulder. The left side was usually left open for a Corps or army patch or even a Air Service rondel patch. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth..Paul

Same here..... and, according to the regs, it was worn on the right side.

• 1 month later...
world war I nerd

I too have seen period photos of air service enlisted men with the 'prop & squadron number' patch sewn onto the right shoulder ... left shoulder & even both shoulders! When I'm not rushed for time, I'll try to find the photos & post them.