WW2 Buckle Boots variations and questions?

This photo is marked on reverse as BACK FROM ALASKA 1 WEEK AND ALLREADY LOST IN THE WOODS

Copyofimg919.jpg

This is at Camp Hale,are these boots cleated,studded with heel irons or am i going crazy.

Any 43 combat boot experts out there?

Thanks

Sam

here is the uncropped image,early helmet liners,type 1 parkas,riding gloves are worth noting

it also looks like he has had cuffs added to his parka

img918.jpg

Always looking for WW2 Cavalry,Pack Mule and Constabulary horse platoon stuff.

They don't look like standard Double Buckel Boots. think.gif

Yeah it also looks like he has added some sort of cuff to the Parka.

Good eyes Sam, spotting those points. w00t.gif

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

post-344-1223543898.jpg

Hi cav124, I do believe that the buckle boots you have shown are 'hob nailed ' or ' hob riveted ' both terms used in the Quartermaster supply catalog of August 1943 relating to ankle boots. The boots, cuff, two buckle not having reached the supply chain by the date of catalog April 1943.

The catalog shows 'shoes, service, hob-nail, Stk. No. 72-S-2265-10' and 'shoe, service, reverse upper, hob-riveted, Stk. No. 72-S2363' both of which were requisition and overseas use only.

Now back to your photograph, no they are not standard two buckle, if you look closely at the photograph that you have enlarged it is possible to see the seam of a toe-cap where it curves over the boot and joins the side welt. Also possible to see quite clearly is the steel tip on the front edge of the sole, and slightly less visible but still there is the steel strip on the rear edge of the heel, along with all the hob-nails.

Attached is a Quartermaster photograph dated April 1943 showing a QMC clothing review of new equipment, clearly visible in the top right corner are two pairs of buckle boots, with the soles of each being shown, and also visible a toe cap. The left hand pair very clearly show the steel hob-nails, and the steel edging around the heel, the right hand pair also have an earlier pattern rubber sole which has ribbed bars across the sole, rather than the later standard diamond pattern sole.

( also of interest in this photo is the experimental woolen sleeping bag and poplin cover a whole year before it was given the M-1944 designation, and a number of other new items of equipement )

The attached photograph is shown in more clear detail with description on page 159 of the book ' Doughboy to G.I.'

Apologies for the quality of the photo, it is a photograph of a photograph.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Considering that the one on the ground is a Captain, I would have to assume that the other "rough houser" is an officer, that may explain the differences in gear. If the top guy isn't an officer, then, I am more interested in why an enlisted man is "roughing up the good Captain" than I am the boot differences.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

post-344-1223546365.jpg

post-344-1223546229.jpg

Hello 124cav, Well, well, well, upon further investigation of the photograph you have provided, two more interesting items can be seen.

It appears that the captains helmet on the floor is in fact a Riddell thick edge liner without the outer shell, also the captain laying down is wearing rubber and leather shoe-pacs.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• 4 months later...

Hi guys..

buckel boot expert well thats a lot of words but i have a pair of there boots.

They where found in 1981 on the dropping grounds of the 101 Airborne near eindhoven holland.

I have them for over 15 years now, and always think thats these are not original.. but they seem to be..

If you would want pictures of the boots i can send them, the forum is new for me..

zo drop a mail and i will take care of the rest..

Ernestdonders68@hotmail.com

kind regards

Ernest Donders

Helmond

Holland

Hi guys..

buckel boot expert well thats a lot of words but i have a pair of there boots.

They where found in 1981 on the dropping grounds of the 101 Airborne near eindhoven holland.

I have them for over 15 years now, and always think thats these are not original.. but they seem to be..

If you would want pictures of the boots i can send them, the forum is new for me..

zo drop a mail and i will take care of the rest..

Ernestdonders68@hotmail.com

kind regards

Ernest Donders

Helmond

Holland

post-5566-1234988264.jpg

post-5566-1234988328.jpg

post-5566-1234988374.jpg

the old french army of the algerian war had a grude copy of the M43 buckle boots but the sole was just as the 1st & 2nd vietnam jungle boot sole but more thick & ugly..this one here looks as a correct american buckle boot...it's not french army or any other known army & does'nt look as copy....is the pair up for sale?

they are not original? are you kiding? :w00t:you'v got an original pair there... the whole construction looks all original to me!!! thumbsup.gif

they were british made hobnailed russet shoes so..why not british made buckle boots?

wel the could be britisch made.... but i dont think they are..

Even then it took my interessed.. if they are for sale?? well i have a offer in for 675 Euro,s..

that would be somewhere arround the 900 dollars.. Strange sins the boots are on the internet interest comes from all over..

One of the boots has on the buckel MP stamped.. size 6.. small but then again so where the guys those days..

the second boot has a stamp but i cant make up what it is.. They are original,, probebly 101 AB 502 ore 506 PIR

ore the 326 medical ore 327 glider infantrie reg..

well what ever i now they are experimental buckel boots.. but what year i dont now...

The missing hob nails are there... somewhere... including nose tip en horse shoe in the back..

Any Airborne collecters here as well then??

\Take a look at www.priestm7b1.nl

the restoration of a sherman based priest

Ernest from holland

post-5566-1235331372.jpg

post-5566-1235331391.jpg

post-5566-1235331414.jpg

Fantastic boots you have there... thumbsup.gif

Coolman

what are the prices in amerika for these items...

Have you ever lookt at a second pare?????

as far is i know this is the only pair...

i know a pair of experimentals with rubber soles in France..

but still not a nice a these

Ernest

Coolman

what are the prices in amerika for these items...

Have you ever lookt at a second pare?????

as far is i know this is the only pair...

i know a pair of experimentals with rubber soles in France..

but still not a nice a these

Ernest

i'm not in America ernest but no...i have'nt seen another pair again & the price must be high

there is a posibility to be normal M43s completely resoled in british fashion...but why?!!! think.gif

I'd have said that too, but look at the toe cap on them. Private puchase boots converted to military spec perhaps?

Hobnails give a lot of traction, sound awesome, but are like walking on sheet ice indoors!

WWW.FAAA.ME.UK

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

I'd have said that too, but look at the toe cap on them. Private puchase boots converted to military spec perhaps?

Hobnails give a lot of traction, sound awesome, but are like walking on sheet ice indoors!

they dont look privately purchase

hey..

well believe me they are original.. leather soles and in good shape.. It wonders me that these are the only boots that are known.. oke experimentals where not in big numbers and givin out over all militairy services.

These come then out of Airborne hands but stil could be gliderborne boots..

and the shoe toe cap is on orgininal and there is no hole untherneed that had to be coverd... then again Michel de trez in his second book market garden shows buckle boots but with rubber soles and with a toe cap!!!

different is olso the metal stud and the 7 holes for the shoe laches..

the hole sole is made from leather and buildup in layers..

inpossibel to make them from gruond up aigan if they where rubber build up boots..

What by the way would britische made shoe do in America...??? they where build to cover up short stags in Engeland.

The britische made american material is for the western theater only... they where never send back to America..

well how can help me on a price of these so then rare boots?????

Prices are running up and mails are coming in like crazy...

Ernest

well how can help me on a price of these so then rare boots?????

Prices are running up and mails are coming in like crazy...

Why are you so focused on a price? Sell them for a price both seller and buyer are happy with or keep them in your own collection....

What markings, if any do you see inside the shoes on the inner soles? What markings do you see on the flaps of the gaiters? Any pictures?

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

hey..

well believe me they are original..

Hi,

I agree, I'm just throwing ideas out as to why they are like they are thumbsup.gif

WWW.FAAA.ME.UK

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

Why are you so focused on a price? Sell them for a price both seller and buyer are happy with or keep them in your own collection....

What markings, if any do you see inside the shoes on the inner soles? What markings do you see on the flaps of the gaiters? Any pictures?

offcourse...

wel maybe you can tell me more about it..

Ernest

post-5566-1235774509.jpg

post-5566-1235774527.jpg

post-5566-1235774541.jpg

offcourse...

wel maybe you can tell me more about it..

Ernest

well as far as i can see the stamp llok like it is:

Footwear

Kat K..

ore

Kat N..

ore

Kat.M..

the second boot had a stamp but nothing is still vissible