Displaying helmets - chinstraps around back or hanging?

anton67

Thought I would post this question.

When displaying your M1 helmets do you attach them around the back OR let them hang?

Just thought I would get a general consensus. :D

I actually do both, Some chinstraps are not long enough to go around behind the helmet. I will sometimes leave it hanging down. The helmet was worn so many different ways. Just display them. So really anyway is ok. JMO

Thanks for the input.

I usually wrap them around the back.

If they are too short I use a paper clip to join them.

I also use a tiny wire on one end of my leather chinstraps so I don't have to stretch them.

If it's displayed on a helmet stand or foam display head, I like to leave the chin straps hanging down and connected and the chin cup strapped on the chin to show how it was worn. especially on a paratrooper helmet or helmet with a 3 point chin strap design, because too much detail would be hidden if you left everything tucked inside on some designs.

on shelf displays I try to attach the strap around the back because it looks neater that way or less sloppy on a shelf

it also depends on the type of helmet, some foreign helmets look good with the leather chin strap over the front visor on a shelf display, like on French Adrians or other models.

I personally leave the chin straps hanging and in a relaxed position. I'd rather prevent the straps from stretching and developing a permanent crease.

I also agree about letting them hang to avoid putting a memory in the material. With that said, if you are looking for authentic look it would depend on the branch of service the helmet was used. Marines in WW2 rarely strapped their chin strap behind helmet. It was looked down upon and seen as more of an army preference. On the other hand, a lot of army soldiers strapped the chinstrap behind the helmet during WW2.

-Rich

Burning Hazard

It depends on the helmet.

I owned some salty helmets that had the chinstrap buckled behind the back since the war; these had discoloration on the shell where the chinstrap was buckled and the chinstraps themselves were warped backwards completely. These I would leave buckled behind the back.

Any helmet that had short, unissued or very fragile chinstraps I would leave dangling. The unissued shells I would maybe buckle them backwards for a photo but unbuckle immediately afterwards (assuming they reached around the back)

Pat

If a helmet has its straps lengthened for attaching around the back I sometimes attach them, if the straps do not fit and require unlengthening I leave them hanging . I like to display Marine helmets with straps hanging as it seemed to be more popular with Marines

If they fit behind back I strap them back.. however I've found most don't fit so I either leave them dangle or buckled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a helmet, from a Marine who tucked his chinstraps between the liner and shell. But I suppose that was rare.

Adrian

id like to see that, sounds odd

Thanks for the input everyone.

I am rethinking how I am going to display my helmets.

I used to have them all strapped behind the helmet but now I may leave the ones that do not reach hang down.

I also may have all USMC helmet straps hang down.

I think variety is the spice of life and I'm sure as many ways as you can imagine... that's how the guys wore them.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say you've been 'molesting' anything if you catch my drift. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming back to the actual topic, personally I display my airborne helmets some with everything connected as if they were about to make a jump, or unhooked but hanging. On infantry helmets, if the straps reach (if original then without adjusting) then I sometimes hook around the back if it's a put together then I sometimes play around with uncommon ways it was done that I've seen in pictures

• 4 years later...

If the straps are locked across the back when I get it, and it looks like they have been there for a long time, then they stay there.  Otherwise they dangle.

I like to mix it up and try to show the range of how they were actually worn.  Some behind the back, some dangling, some down and connected. 

Also, to me variety adds to the the visual appeal of the display. 

Burning Hazard

Here is an example of an "as found" fixed bail that has chinstraps hooked behind the back and completely fossilized - very likely hooked since the war. I never attempted to unhook these and, when I sold the helmet, I told the buyer the same (do not attempt to unhook!).

Pat

FB 2.jpg

FB 3.jpg