351st Bomb Group 309th Squadron Jacket help

Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment

So a few weeks back, an older gentleman who is a customer at my work told me about how he had his father's WWII flight jacket with all of the painting. The old man told me that he had no use for it and that he would be wanting to sell it to me (he knew I was a collector).

Two days ago, the man called me and said that he would like me to come out and see the jacket, and when i arrived at his house, needless to say, my heart was racing. The painting on the jacket was only slightly faded and retained his 509th squadron painted emblem on the front, 8th AAF painted patch on the left sleeve shoulder, the name of his B-17 "Raggedy Ann", a painted B-17 and 35 yellow painted bombs for his 35 missions.

The leather, however, was not in the greatest shape. There was heavy mildewing in areas on the front of the jacket, and some mold. But not terribly. He is selling the jacket to me for $250 (A STEAL OF A PRICE! And straight out of the woodwork).

Question is, how may I safely clean the mold and mildew from the jacket and keep it from re-appearing? I am not one to use any sort of conditioners on my collection so any ways of proceding to clean off the mold without hurting the jacket or value would be appreciated.

Thanks! I am picking the jacket up on Monday and will post pictures then! It looks like an A-2 but it is fur lined (and it isn't an A-3). I havent seen many like it.

I would agree. A wet microfiber cloth is a good place to start. If that doesn't work, some mild soap with water along with the micro fiber cloth would be the next step. Lexal ph balanced leather cleaner diluted with water has worked well for some fellow A-2 collectors I know.

JD

This might not be mold or mildew. Sometimes the hide used to make the jacket leeches the wax and oils used in the tanning process, forming a white residue on the surface. This usually happens when the leather is stored in alternating hot and cold conditions (like an attic). The good news is that the white gunk can be reabsorbed in to the leather. I had an A2 with this white "bloom" all over it. I gently heated sections with a blow drier, then rubbed the stuff back in to the leather when it liquified a bit. Worked like a charm. No need for cleaning products or leather treatment..

Cpl. Punishment

This might not be mold or mildew. Sometimes the hide used to make the jacket leeches the wax and oils used in the tanning process, forming a white residue on the surface. This usually happens when the leather is stored in alternating hot and cold conditions (like an attic). The good news is that the white gunk can be reabsorbed in to the leather. I had an A2 with this white "bloom" all over it. I gently heated sections with a blow drier, then rubbed the stuff back in to the leather when it liquified a bit. Worked like a charm. No need for cleaning products or leather treatment..

Thank you guys! That would make sense, the "mildew" looking spots did look unusually defined and white on the jacket and the man told me the jacket just hung in the rafters which would explain a fluctuating temperature. If that is not the case i will be using the microfiber cloth!

On mine, I used a pretty hot setting on the blow drier, then rubbed it back in with a soft cotton rag. I worked in little sections until it was all re absorbed. Took awhile but it worked.