Unusual H&H EGA hallmark

Bob Hudson

This piece came from a pre-WWII USMC campaign cover. The Hamburger Hilborn hallmark on the back is like none I have seen before. Usually if these become worn, you can still see some of the design pattern and writing. This one though is just a star-shaped blob. Shown with it are a couple of examples of what we normally see in an H&H hallmark.

hallmarks.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like it was removed. Most likely old stock sold by HH to another distributor who removed the mark. Common occurrence that I have seen in Pasquale distributed HH made material. They sometimes carefully ground the marks out and in some cases, not so carefully ground them out. I've also seen a blob of solder placed over the mark.

Mike

Some info from Klie's book may shed some light on the question. Page 152 and 201 have emblems with the same continent configuration (pointed Fla. and South America) and eagle. Note the reference to Solid Fire Bronze. Solid Fire Bronze (ref page 30) mark was used by Hilborn - Hamburger after 1926. It would infer that this emblem is an H-H badly marked or a jobbed out emblem manufactured by a second party may be even a third party (repair).