USMC Helicopter Helmet

hink441

Got this one from a local shop. I really like the tape job, the shop said it belonged to a USMC Sgt.

Any idea what the fittings near the ear pads on each side are used for??

Chris

post-10825-0-45012400-1485486538_thumb.jpeg

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! Probably a modified SPH-3C. I will have to look at my reference materials for the HGU- designation. The fittings may be used to attach a Chemical Biological Oxygen mask system. The

communications cable was used in helicopters such as the H-53, H-46, Huey, AH-1, and TH-57. The

H-60 used the same cable assy's. as used on the S-3 Viking flight helmets. My guess is that your helmet

is missing the amplifier and would be used with a H-53 helicopter variant. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. The CBR mask fittings is a real possibility. I tried to find a good picture of a CBR mask in use. I could not find a good detailed picture to compare the mask fittings. The picture I did find of the CBR mask in use looked very similar though.

CH-53 use is good to know. I used to fly in RH-53Ds when I was in the USN?

Any thoughts on the tape job? Any squadron possibilities come to mind?

I need to find some contact cement and glue up the edge roll on the backside of the helmet.

Chris

Those fittings are for the CBR mask. Its a British design for the AR-5, later A/P22P-14V1 aircrew respirator made by Cam Lock in the UK. The fittings are of similar design as British Oxygen Masks, The USMC SPH helmets used this cable design, on the HGU-84 there was an adapter kit from Gentex that used straps that adapted the attachment cables to a strap with snaps to fasten to the helmet. Those masks come up time to time on ebay.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for digging up, I was looking for USMC patches on the used market and this one popped up... it remembered me this helmet's thread.
A big red-bordered yellow arrow + CH-46 and 53, could be a match for a squadron ID ;) (HMM-162 Golden Eagles, 1971 Med cruise).

s-l500.jpg