All Medal and Militaria Collectors and Dealers...Bill Update...HR 544

tarbridge

That is ubsurd, the recipient can sell it, but if you buy it you are stuck with it forever?

Kurt

Makes no sense at all ??? So is reciepient suppose to only sell to another reciepient ???? CRAZY do gooders !!

So you can legally buy it then ?? Hope we can beat this nutty law ???

For the past 20 years virtually all legislation contradicts itself in Washington D.C. ... that won't derail them. And like 90% of the legislation ... the bills have nothing to do with stated goals and objectives.

This bill weakens constitutional property rights ... which is what these brave men and women fought and died for ... not that any of the sponsors give a rip about that either.

Millions of those who served are turning over in their graves that such trash legislation would even be considered ... all to create and support a two-bit reality show.

“(2) LIMITATION ON REGULATIONS.—Regulations described in paragraph (1) may not authorize the sale of any Purple Heart awarded to a member of the armed forces or former member of the armed forces by the Secretary of the military department concerned, unless the sale is conducted by the member or former member to whom the Purple Heart was awarded.”.

That line pretty much removes a better part of the argument against the law, IMHO. I could very easily see that line being edited to "member, former member, or next of kin". In that case, then the whole argument against the law of forcing families to keep the medal is taken away.

Not to be a debbie downer at all, but that's the point of the discussion that got several of my congressman's staffers on our side of being against the law (e.g. this will force people who don't want to keep the medal to simply discard it in lieu of selling it to someone who will preserve it). If the recipient or their NOK can sell the award, that's out the window and the remaining argument is "this law prevents collectors and dealers from selling the medal" which has about a zero percent chance of being effective as that's the point of the law in the first place (to prevent the medal from being "monetized" as an item instead of a memorial).

Schofield1943

Is anyone aware of any cases where the federal government has allowed the sale of an item from Person X to Person Y but subsequently prevented the sale from Person Y to Person Z (excluding firearms)?

And what about when there is no next of kin? Estate sales? Allowing the recipient or recipient family to sell the medal but not allowing the buyer of that medal to sell it further down the road seems mighty arbitrary and discriminatory.

You are missing the point.... the purpose of this law just like the two ridiculous laws before this (this is strike three) is to weaken Constitutional property rights in America. Look who writes and promotes these laws... people who don't even understand the Constitution let alone respect it.

If the law passes, the next bad president will allow for mass confiscation of collections so that they can act as Commissars for medal justice... when there isn't a problem in the first place.

This is the third example of Washington blowhards "solving" a problem that does not exist (thus create a new problem they can solve) so that they can pat themselves on the back as faux heroes while they xxxxxx on the graves of every service man and woman. I thought the Nov 2016 election put an end to fascism in America?

You are missing the point.... the purpose of this law just like the two ridiculous laws before this (this is strike three) is to weaken Constitutional property rights in America. Look who writes and promotes these laws... people who don't even understand the Constitution let alone respect it.

If the law passes, the next bad president will allow for mass confiscation of collections so that they can act as Commissars for medal justice... when there isn't a problem in the first place.

This is the third example of Washington blowhards "solving" a problem that does not exist (thus create a new problem they can solve) so that they can pat themselves on the back as faux heroes while they xxxxxx on the graves of every service man and woman. I thought the Nov 2016 election put an end to fascism in America?

A.J.I don't think I missed the point...the Bill is a reality...regardless of the who...what...when...and where...I speak to the fact they are contradicting the premise of their own argument...that helps our position...I did not think I needed to write a dissertation.

Understood.

Also underscore that the government must add a Commissar Bureau of FBI agents to scourer every garage sale and antique stand for the newly defined contraband that is heroic Purple Hearts.

Can't wait for the first newspaper article of a widow who was arrested or medals confiscated by the reality show or Commissar attack agents. That will kill this bill and hopefully the career of every congressmen who votes for it.

Thank GOD the world is so peaceful that we can create problems where they don't exist and redirect funds to investigate patriotic and innocent citizens.

Washington D.C. has gone insane.

• 3 months later...
suwanneetrader

As I ate breakfast in Dennys this morning they had a Fox News program on TV I couldn't hear much but the guests, one of which was "Fink" (I think that is his name) and the caption on the screen was "Eight Purple Hearts Returned" The show hosts were all smiles and tried to rely that "fuzzy good" feeling. To the public who have no idea, this will work into a new restrictive law and make many honest and sincere collectors (many of whom are Vets) into lawbreakers. Richard

suwanneetrader

his name is fike but i like fink better

Hello Dave The way the Bill is written wouldn't it put his so called PH Foundation out of business and in doing so the Thousands of Dollars in cash and vacations/travel he is taking out of its donations? Or will Congress be able to "exempt" him? Really ?? Richard

• 6 months later...

Our hero Mr. Fike was featured in an article in the VFW magazine in the March 2018 issue. I sent in a rebuttal of his overly self-aggrandized work in returning "lost and stolen" Purple Hearts. Really makes me want to puke.

-Ski

post-3043-0-58791100-1520053764_thumb.jpg

I personally have returned more items to families, both in quantity and value, than his organization since the day they started... and not once have I called a newspaper, magazine or TV station to stroke my ego. We're both doing the same thing... only one needs a parade... one does not.

One big difference... I use MY MONEY. I pay for the item and pay to return the item. No donations... my sacrifice. Just like hundreds of you on this site do every year.

No one knows we are doing it... because we neither need nor seek the accolades. Just patriotic Americans helping others.

This legislation has opened my eyes to just how corrupt and dishonest our congress has become and how a few key veterans organizations can be usurped into backing a bill that actually hurts their constituents. This entire bill helps only one person in America.. Fike. That's it. It is the Fike bill

Fike becomes rich and famous when it passes... veterans and their families lose their rights, property values (medals), and lose financially... all ... to help Fike.

The fact that these veterans organizations do not see that .. or don't care astonishes me. How can they be so dumb? Like minded people running them now? So much for serving our vets.

I just spent about four hours over two days this week helping a USN Dec 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor KIA family get the most out of their family's large PH grouping because they need the money. If this legislation had passed last year... this family would have received $3,000 to $4,000 less for their relative's medals than they received.

Of course the congressional sponsors, the veterans organizations and Mr. Fike could not care less if families like these are harmed. It is not about doing the right thing... it is about doing the right thing for themselves.

They only care about their agenda! If you are a collector you are evil ! I knew tons of WWII Korea Vets from my Pop being involved with his veterans organizations and they all liked idea of preserving the history and memory of how we collect ! Sadly must be a new generation at the helm of these groups now ! If they pass this it will destroy our history just like MOH law did ! We need to fight this so keep writing those letters !

This is why I posted this here. Articles like this only show one point of view, which in this case is completely erroneous. Unfortunately, this has a direct impact on the bills in congress with people swayed by BS articles like this. No doubt the VFW is actively supporting the insanity in the name of "honor". We have to do our bit in getting the truth out there. Rebuttals help. Educating people helps even more.

-Ski

Fike can attack us historians all he wants... but we have done more for preservation, restoration and repatriation of historical artifacts to and for families than he and his organization will ever do in 100 years. We don't need the publicity... we do it because we are patriots.

He seems to love himself!

People who constantly need to be celebrated as heroes have something wrong with them ... it is some sort of illness... hero's syndrome perhaps... some narcissistic issue perhaps? But one thing that is consistant with people who have this disorder... they never care about the collateral damage (victims) they cause. In other words, you could prove to Fike that veterans and their families will lose millions of dollars in personal value because of this law... and as long as he gets to be a hero at least once a year... that is an acceptable trade off for him.

"Hero for a day" vs. millions in veteran's losses.... that is a good trade for a narcissist.