Parachutist pad

pawtwo

Hello,

Below there are two quite clear photos (found on internet, one from J. Murray Inc shop) of unissued parachutist helmet liners pads. As you can see one has more porous surface and another is more smooth like PASGT helmet's pad.

Does this mean that these could be manufactured differently from different quality foam or maybe something changed in specs during production, for example some of them are just earlier? Or maybe this depended from contractor.

There are not so many clear photos of these pads in good shape. Maybe anyone remembers if these green pads were changing over time.

Regards

Paul

post-162935-0-62669000-1485380735.jpg

post-162935-0-88079800-1485380761.png

Here is a photo from spec sheets that craig pickrall sent about 2010.

Pad on this photo doesn't looks shiny and doesn't have as soft edges like pad from right image. Pad from right image was FY91 contract ase these were procured in 91 last time (I don't have any idea for what reason).

Pad from thist photo looks similar to pad from left photo from my first post. Of course quality of picture is low but you can see that it posibly has similar surface and edges.

post-162935-0-90280700-1485423277_thumb.jpg

The first pads we got in the 74-75 time from were just a dense foam rubber w/ a slice cut out. Eventually we got the commercial looking pads like in the first picture. Prior to pads we had only the wide strap as pictured above for the back of the head. SKIP

I have a pad in the original packaging, NOS. It still has the ID card with the DSN info.

The number is: 8470-01-005-2081

Not sure what date that would be.

Does parts like parachutist pad were available in PX as replacements? These aren't so common on ebay right now. I haven't seen any for whole year and I got mine from J.Murray Inc. 1944 few days ago.