British Made Ribbon bar?

Old Marine

post-2843-1223486944.jpg

I picked this up this weekend and I thought it was pretty unique. I am guessing that this is a hand sewn, British made ribbon bar with snaps on either end for attaching it to the uniform.

Any comments or observations?

Dennis

I have seen these before, but have never thought of them as British made. What makes you think that?

G

I had a WW2 RAF Tunic (jacket, coat, whatever) direct from the wife of the pilot. The bullion wings and ribbons were attached to the uniform in this manner. I guess to make it easier to clean. The "male" portion of the snaps would be sewn on one item and the "female" portion on the uniform, or the the order reversed depending on tailor. British style was my first thought after seeing this item.

I have a lot of British made ribbon bars including bars that use this system of attachment but they all use british made ribbons. As a first look I would not say these are British made but probably something put together by an Italian, or American tailor for that matter, for use on a shirt.

Gary

I agree these are US made ribbon swaths (the same kind you find in the boxes of some decorations) folded over and sewn to make a ribbon bar. I do not have any handy, but perhaps someone can post a photo of true Brit manufactured ribbons to show their differences from these.

Kyle

• 3 months later...
I agree these are US made ribbon swaths (the same kind you find in the boxes of some decorations) folded over and sewn to make a ribbon bar. I do not have any handy, but perhaps someone can post a photo of true Brit manufactured ribbons to show their differences from these.

Kyle

The only time British medal ribbons are made up to be detachable is when they are to be worn with a "tropical" uniform ("whites").

Hopefully attached is a pic of my medal rack, made up to the authorised fashion. It is the same set-up for the medal ribbon rack or the

set up for the mounting for the full medals,

I personally have never seen a medal ribbon row(s) made up with studs.

post-5191-1233866697.jpg

The only time British medal ribbons are made up to be detachable is when they are to be worn with a "tropical" uniform ("whites").

Hopefully attached is a pic of my medal rack, made up to the authorised fashion. It is the same set-up for the medal ribbon rack or the

set up for the mounting for the full medals,

I personally have never seen a medal ribbon row(s) made up with studs.

Wow, that is a nice rack, indeed! You certainly have "been around" for a LSGC Navy guy!!

Here is a shot of a pair of British ribbon bars with snaps on them, albight, they are from the post-WWI era. The US ribbons above could of been done in the US, but so much of that stuff was handled by tailors in the UK, that they could of been given the ribbon stock to put together ribbons for the troops. So, who knows for sure?

-Ski

post-3043-1233872722.jpg

All I can think of is that, who ever had the ribbons made up wanted to avoid the ribbons going through

the wash along with the jacket! :rolleyes:

That's a interesting set of ribbons, especially with Mention in Despatches emblem on the Victory Medal

You are correct about the snap on ribbon usage Donald, the RAF uniform I mentioned earlier in this thread is the tropical (or "Whites") as you refer to them. I figured it was done to facilitate cleaning it. Thanks for your info/input.

You are correct about the snap on ribbon usage Donald, the RAF uniform I mentioned earlier in this thread is the tropical (or "Whites") as you refer to them. I figured it was done to facilitate cleaning it. Thanks for your info/input.

You mentioned that they are from a RAF uniform - with the two centre ribbons having been awarded for WW1 service, this chap may have been a member of the Royal Flying Corps or even the Royal Naval Air Service - pre-runners of the RAF which came into being 1st April 1918?

Sorry about the confusion Donald. The ribbon bars pictured are not from my RAF tunic. I used the example I own to explain that I had seen this snap on ribbon style used on a British tailored uniform. The one I own is definitely WW2. Thanks again for your input. :)