WW2 KIA MARINE PURPLE HEART CORP. HARRY VARNER, OKINAWA

ww1collector

Varner, Harry B.

Serial Number: 878791

Military Branch: Weapons Co.,22nd Marines, 6th Mar. Div.

Origin: Virginia

Date of Death: 1945-5-9

Northview Cemetery, Dearborn, MI

Featured: No

Harry Brown Varner was born February 12, 1920 in Headwater, Virginia to his parents Charles and Mary Varner. He was one of six children.

Harry was married to his wife, Helen, in 1941. He enlisted in the Marines August 21, 1943.

Corp. Varner left training in San Diego, California aboard the S.S. PRESIDENT TYLER on January 23, 1944 sailing to Nouma, New Calidonia, arriving Feb. 12. He then sailed to Guadacanal arriving there on Feb. 20, 1944. He left Guadacanal aboard the USS William P. Biddle on June 4, 1944 with the 1st Provisional Brigade eventually being part of the assault force at Guam from July 21 through August 26, 1944. He returned to Guadacanal aboard the USS Seafiddler on September 9, 1944.

On March 15, 1945, he sailed from Guadalcanal aboard the USS Monrovia with the Weapons Company, 22nd Marines, 6th Division, arriving at Okinawa on April 2, 1945 (D+1) and was there until hid death.

Corp. Varner was wounded in the abdomen by a shell fragment on May 8, 1945 and died a day later at the 31st Field Hospital. He was initially buried in grave #475 First Marine Cemetery No. 1 on Okinawa.

The group includes Varner's officially engraved solid brooch Type 2 Purple Heart in its short titled case and shipping box. His complete National Archives file is also part of the group.

RIP young man and thanks for sharing. I love that type engraving and one of mine is engraved the same hand.

I find it unusual that this engraving is on a Type 2. Is yours?

vernonshattuck

Thank you for posting. Very nice late war /Okinawa era engraving - exactly like the engraving I have on a purple heart for an Okinawa KIA marine.