Some Field Gear (1903-1916)

US Victory Museum

How funny. A 1909 revolver belt with a pistol holster and mag pouch.

Yes that is unusual, I didn't think much about it til Artu pointed it out.

By the way nice assemblage of items , I always enjoy seeing the early 1900's stuff here.

• 1 month later...
US Victory Museum

Time for an update.

These two items weren't worth creating a new topic for, so I decided to update an old one.

The Haversack is either the M1904 or M1908 type. (Yes, I know that technically neither

of these items are called M(odel)[Year]; however, calling them thus makes for a convenient

method of communication.) It's my post, so I'm going to do it. Nyaaa!!!

Anyway, one type is larger than the other; however, since I only have on there is no way

for me to tell whether I have the larger or the smaller of the two. Suffice to say that I have

an early 20th century haversack that utilizes open hooks to attach to a cartridge belt.

In this particular case it's a M1903 2nd type belt. The canteen speaks for itself.

Now all I need is either M1907 or M1903 suspenders and a mannequin to put everything

on.

( Please, Santa, don't give me a mannequin as scary as the one "Cavsaddle" owns. That thing creeps me out! )

post-1529-1230097607.jpg

US Victory Museum

Number 2, D Company, U.S. Volunteers, 12th New York. I believe that I read somewhere

that this group did garrison duty on Cuba following the Spanish-American War; sometime

between 1899 - 1902.

post-1529-1230097713.jpg

Marchville1918
post-4583-1230154392.jpg I like the early 1900's equipment also, but I think it must have been some of the worst gear to actually wear that was ever designed (especially the canteen which would have flopped and twisted around as you walked or ran and eventually torn through the eyelet of the belt. Dave

• 8 years later...

Dave,

I've always liked the pre-WW1 [1900 to 1916] GI gear as well. And, like you, I agree that the M1903/07 gear was quite poorly thought out for the reasons you mentioned. Which probably explains why we often see the canteen hanger straps in mint, unissued condition--I imagine they wore out pretty quickly on that floppin' and twistin' canteen, so having a large supply of replacement straps was a pretty good idea. Not to mention making us collectors happy many years later.

Alan