Vanguard 1V Pilot Wing...

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

This Pilot wing came with an Officers Uniform and I was told thatit was possibly mid 1950's early 60's could anyone help verify that,Thanks. And I was also what is the odd substace stuck around the back posts.

Thanks Guys,

Michael

post-3581-1223477918.jpg

post-3581-1223477925.jpg

Aussie-Wings

Hi Michael,

Yes I do believe this is a Mid 1950's Wing. This Vanguard hallmark is my favourate, I have a couple of different wing styles with this hallmark. As far as the substance on the back, repair job? glue? not sure looking at the photo. Nice hallmark :D

Cheers, AW.

FightenIrish35

What are the characteristics that you can point out that it is a 1950's wing. Is there a difernce on the front of the wing as I need to display wings with an officer uniform and if the only difernce with this later model is the back I might just use this as display until I get WW2 era wings.

Thanks

What are the characteristics that you can point out that it is a 1950's wing. Is there a difernce on the front of the wing as I need to display wings with an officer uniform and if the only difernce with this later model is the back I might just use this as display until I get WW2 era wings.

Thanks

The apha-numeric code....See the 1 and the V on either side of the eagle...that indicates that this wing is likely from the late 50's into the early 60's or so. Later, the code was changed to a 2 number/letter code. Easiest way to date a wing. Likely, they still used the same dies, just added the new hallmark.

Patrick

FightenIrish35

so just by looking at the front of the wings can you tell they are 50 wings,because if the front isnt noticeable i will use on display until i get 40 wings

so just by looking at the front of the wings can you tell they are 50 wings,because if the front isnt noticeable i will use on display until i get 40 wings

To be honest, I do think that (in general) you can tell that this pattern of wing is from the 50's, but the differenes are very subtle.

The shape of the shield and the curve of the upper part of the wings, are all a bit different than similar WWII vintage "pelican beak" wings. But, I think you have to be a real stickler to see it, and not sure that it makes all that much difference. I suspect that 99% of the time, no one would even notice.

Patrick

FightenIrish35

Thanks Patrick that answers my question exactly. I wasnt going to use it if there was a real big difernce from the front view of the wing. I thank you. thumbsup.gif