M1875 USMC enlisted EGA regulations

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

The appearance of stamped / wired versions of 1875 enlisted undress cap emblem likely came to an end about in 1898 as the fore and aft campaign cover photo’s of the period showed the stamped with various wire configurations for mounting the emblem to the side at first and on the front at a later date. An identical emblem in nickel plate was worn on the enlisted epaulettes of the period.

1898_campaign_cover.jpg

1898_campaign_cover_back.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

According to Orgel's appendix; the first enlisted undress cap appeared with the issuing of the 1875 uniform regulations. It was worn from 1876-1892. Most of these early patterns, lasting through 1920 carried a consistence feature that would not appear again. The “rhumb line”, was dropped in 1920 not to appear again. These emblems of the late 1800's period revealed a general pattern of development based on their first 1875 pattern.

The emblem depicted here was also used as the enlisted fatigue cap ornament and in used from 1876-1881. As described in Driscoll's TM "the same design and dimensions as that prescribed for Officers, but stuck from one piece brass and fastened to the front of cap by two brasswire loops soldered on the inner side of the emblem"

Shown here is a Bannerman, or Stokes Kirk period reproduction for wear on the undress cap.

ega_016.jpg

ega_017.jpg

• 4 months later...
Schnicklfritz

I believe about the 1890's, but I'm really unsure about the date for this one. I believe these had a light bronze or gilt colored wash applied. Look in the areas on the pics to see what I believe are the reminants of the applied finish. See the pics.

post-115-1183063293.jpg

post-115-1183063301.jpg

post-115-1183063310.jpg

Schnicklfritz

more.. There are two different EGAs posted here. One I believe had the prongs resoldered at one point. The second I believe has the original solder applied.

post-115-1183063444.jpg

post-115-1183063452.jpg

post-115-1183063462.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Yours is patterned after the 1875 model EGA. In bronze they were used on the field hat in 1908. The "gilt brass" counterpart was used earlier in 1897 for the bell crown cap. The were done in nickel plate brass as well and worn on the shako 1876-1892; shoulder knots 1892-1904 and the gilt-finish brass wire back version worn on the Kepi from 1876-97.

I am not certain if this was a gilt finish to begin... it would almost appear, someone applied over the top of guilting another finish??? Since this is a stamped thin plate, it would have been a shako / kepi emblem. I am speculating due to the applied finish??? Another factor may be, is it a Bannermans surplus item? I just cannot tell from the pic's.... Gary?