USS INDICATIVE (AM250)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that it was an Admirable class minesweeper. You can find pictures of that class of minesweeper. Maybe if you Google Admirable class minesweeper you can find images which include one of your ship. I'm guessing that you have already done this though.

I took a look at "images" of Admirable class minesweepers in Google and still could not find a photo of AM 250. There were comments about the Indicative which was given to the Soviet Union just after WW2 under the Lend Lease program but no photos.

I took a look at "images" of Admirable class minesweepers in Google and still could not find a photo of AM 250. There were comments about the Indicative which was given to the Soviet Union just after WW2 under the Lend Lease program but no photos.

Dwayne

• 2 weeks later...

How super interesting. No picture! I did find this war diary that states the decommission and transfer to USSR

post-151812-0-47245700-1549122483.jpg

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I found that the GA Historical Society has the Savannah Shipyard records, and I contacted them. Here is the response:

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Georgia Historical Society. We appreciate your email regarding obtaining information from our Savannah Shipyard Co. Records (MS 1659) archival collection or any photographs of the USS Indicative (AM 250).
Our Research Center in Savannah is temporarily closed and will reopen in the fall of 2020 following a much-needed renovation and expansion. Unfortunately, our archival collections and research materials are unavailable during this time. Based on the finding aid for the Savannah Shipyard Co. Records collection it does appear that there may be photographs in VM Box 1 (folders 13 &14). Unfortunately, these images have not been digitized and we are unable to access the originals while the Research Center is undergoing renovations.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to welcoming our members and patrons to the newly-renovated Research Center in 2020.
Definitely worth trying if you are still interested in 2020.

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I also contacted the Naval History and Heritage Command:

Elizabeth - I've checked our entire collection, but unfortunate we don't seem to any images of this ship in our collection. I've checked the other online sources we often go to when we don't have something in our archive, but again have come up empty. Have you tried the National Archives yet? They are the official repository for US Navy photography, so they would be more likely to have something than us (our collections are mostly based on private donations). You can reach their photo archive at: s------x@nara.gov

I'm sorry I was not able to assist.

Lisa

Photo Archivist
Naval History & Heritage Command
805 Kidder Breese Street, SE
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374

donation2018.gif

This is totally odd to me that no photo of a ship is out there! So, I contacted that email (which I didn't post fully above) and they have my request and are going to get back to me. I'll post whatever I hear back! Funny, isn't this?

donation2018.gif

No photos of this ship? That is weird. Was it part of some top secret project? Or was it just an ugly ship?

I've poked around a little myself with no luck either. Hope someone comes up with a picture. Things like this drive me crazy. Though it's a very short drive.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif