WWII Marine M1 with T1 chin strap.

RichRaider

please show a closer image of the bar tacking on the T1 male end...

to me, this is what was redone.

does anyone have a WW2 helmet with a T1 fitting with provenance?

I don't believe anyone has said that they do.

-Brian

RichRaider,

Very nice helmet!!

Unlike the Army in Europe, who chose to deal with the reality/myth of blast force on a clasped helmet causing head or neck injury by securing the strap behind the helmet, the USMC often wore the chinstrap loosely clasped under the chin during landings. After the issue of the T-1, it is not uncommon to see M1 helmets of early, mid or late war manufacture fitted with the quick release system in the pacific. Unfortunately, all the component parts of this helmet are typical to WWII on through early 1950s issue so dating it specifically to WWII is not possible although it very well could be.

As to the liner, it is not a rework. I have seen and have in my collection several examples of partial and fully webbed liners that used the wider herringbone twill used in the manufacture of bandoliers. This is not common and was most likely an exception made by the Quartermaster when webbing was needed and there was a shortage of materials or a delay in manufacture. You have a very nice and correct example of a helmet as it could have been issued to the USMC during WWII.

I'm not sure I understand why the bar-tacking is important. The T-1 hook could be retrofitted onto the existing chinstrap without re-sewing it.

Ahh ok I thought the male hook end needed to be sewn on. So truly there is no way to tell.

My gut tells me it is post ww2 but I suppose you could call it either way!

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This M1 fixed bail has been factory refurbished with what looks to be an OD7 short strap with the T1 hardwear. The wear on the rest of the helmet looks like it was not used much before or after the refurb. If it saw any combat use the loops would have the paint worn off from the straps rubbing it away over use.

So, if the helmet was not used much before the re-furb than it was sitting in a stock pile when the order came down in late 1944 to retrofit chinstrap hardware to T1 specs. The process would have been stateside, where the factory bar tacking machines were, and the chances of the helmet making it into theatre in time for VJ day are slim.

I agree with Kadet 100 percent: Korean war era helmet.

This M1 fixed bail has been factory refurbished with what looks to be an OD7 short strap with the T1 hardwear. The wear on the rest of the helmet looks like it was not used much before or after the refurb. If it saw any combat use the loops would have the paint worn off from the straps rubbing it away over use.

So, if the helmet was not used much before the re-furb than it was sitting in a stock pile when the order came down in late 1944 to retrofit chinstrap hardware to T1 specs. The process would have been stateside, where the factory bar tacking machines were, and the chances of the helmet making it into theatre in time for VJ day are slim.

I agree with Kadet 100 percent: Korean war era helmet.

Ronny67,

I feel you kind of made a logical leap on that one. The short straps have the correct bar tacking and the blackened brass buckles (both done in WWII). These did show up post war, but definitely made it to the front before VJ day. The helmet shows extensive use IMO. There are pictures in my previous posts show the paint on the bail worn off. This is also kind of an abstract point to focus on. I am attaching a photo of another FS/FB that I have with extensive use and it still retains paint on the bail. I also know that the degree of use by the individual can differ by job or rank. I’m not saying that it was in the jungle or on the black sands of Iwo, but it could have been on a support Marines grape. You can also see residue on the outside of the shell from moisture/atmospheric factors. The second photo is the inside of the shell and shows corrosion similar to what other M1 exposed to saltwater have.

My other FS/FB with paint on the bail. I really think this is not indicative of when the helmet was produced or where it served.

post-164442-0-11356000-1484965024_thumb.jpg

My bad, the better pictures show use.

If it is WWII, it would be real late.

Totally agree...If it was used in WW2, it was late. It could also be Korean War. Whatever it is, I absolutely love love it.

i agree, I would be happy to own the helmet myself.

I apologise for any confusion.

Please don't apologize. This was absolutely educational for me and I have learned a hell of a lot. It was fun too. Now I'm on the hunt for a WWII Marine M1 with provenance...I have my work cut out for me.