The Lost D-Day Documentary - Amazing Footage!

stealthytyler

Is it just me or are there some clearly higher quality film edited in to this? Also some CGI mixed in with actors? For example the scenes with landing craft on the water, and one scene where a sailor is waving signal flags with other men on the bridge? There are other scenes as well but, if you watch, you'll see.

stealthytyler

I think you are not used to seeing WWII films at a high frame rate. The video states that the film was transferred at 60 frames per second. This is more than double the native frame rate so it gives an extremely smooth look and feel. It almost makes the film look like modern footage in black and white. It is the same principal as when those new 120hz HD tvs came out and made everything look super smooth. Movies just don't look good at 120hz!

I think you are not used to seeing WWII films at a high frame rate. The video states that the film was transferred at 60 frames per second. This is more than double the native frame rate so it gives an extremely smooth look and feel. It almost makes the film look like modern footage in black and white. It is the same principal as when those new 120hz HD tvs came out and made everything look super smooth. Movies just don't look good at 120hz!

My problem with that, is that its not all of the film, its only certain pieces. Lots of the film is still grainy like every other WWII film you see. Its just strange to me.

So crazy town. I found the National Archives set of these films, matched them up side by side, and played them together. That affect you're talking about is crazy and much smoother. The original film looks consistent throughout with the grainy imagery while the other version is much, much more defined. Very cool indeed.

Below is the national archives film:

stealthytyler

Yeah it's crazy. The increase in frames only adds smoothness to the shots but doesn't do anything for the quality of the film. 60fps really brings it to life huh!?