D Day Omaha Beach Veteran's Group - 1st Infantry Division - Big Red One

HistoryNut

Very nice grouping, hope you find some great info. on him and please post here if and when you do.

Couple of things - I see in post #6 in the photo he IS wearing a silver star ribbon but I can find no recored of a "Lewis J. Hart" winning a silver star in WWII per Home of Heroes. Also, I think the paratrooper jump jacket cut down into a Ike style jacket in incredibly unique, I have never seen another photo of something like that. I also see a photo of him wearing a parachute silk scarf - I can only imagine he picked these things up in Normandy after the invasion. Probably piles of aiborne cast off items all over the place.

Good luck on your info. search, Geoff should be able to help you out.

Very best,

Bill K

I sincerely appreciate all of the nice comments!

Bill, like you, I have never seen another image of a cut down jump jacket. I also believe the top ribbon in the small photo booth photo is that of a Silver Star. The photo of him wearing the silk scarf clearly shows a Purple Heart with two clusters (bottom row, far left). However, the top left ribbon is too light to make out. Hopefully, some of his records still exist.

Thanks to USdog providing me with the link, I was able to find a copy of the General Order dated 9 Jan. 44 awarding him the Combat Infantry Badge.

Thanks again, for the comments and help!!

post-13256-0-64621900-1484854868_thumb.jpg

Hi,

congratulations on pulling that lovely group!! love the pics, and hope you can keep us posted on your research!!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards

JEB

Thanks again to everyone for looking and the nice comments. Seems everyone really loves the photos...I'm going to post a few in the photograph section. Again, many thanks!