Different types of 30 ID patches all ww2 era?

kpl1

Hello

over the years I have collect some 30 Infantry Division patches, while this was one of the divisions who have liberated my home area in 1944. I noticed that there where a lot of diffent types among them. Can someone tell me if they all ww2 era or are there some theatre made versions there?

First one I think a standard white back

post-160468-0-55544100-1484739927.jpg

post-160468-0-22351800-1484739928.jpg

Hi there,

Except for the two black backs, the cut edge OD border and red border patches are all US made and WW2.

The OD wool border patch is late-1030s/very early-1940s, typical for that era, and of US manufacture too

The black backs, and I'm pretty sure about it, are German made. I did a study on that Div and those patches. Very likely these were manufactured in the German region where the Div had their occupation duties, between May and August 1945.

H.

• 2 years later...

The black backs, and I'm pretty sure about it, are German made. I did a study on that Div and those patches. Very likely these were manufactured in the German region where the Div had their occupation duties, between May and August 1945.

H.

Interesting. I have this batch from a 30th Infantry Division veteran: would these likely be German-made too?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Interesting. I have this batch from a 30th Infantry Division veteran: would these likely be German-made too?

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Hi Bob,

Yes. These are the ones I mentioned: German made. Very likely occupation period May - August 1945.

The 76th has similar made patches (with black back and same manufacture pattern), as this Div was a neighbour during the same period. I've only seen those two Div patches manufactured in that way... and... I have seen a uniform with those two Div patches both with this kind of style (left shoulder: 30th, and right shoulder: 76th.

Hans

Hi Bob,

Yes. These are the ones I mentioned: German made. Very likely occupation period May - August 1945.

The 76th has similar made patches (with black back and same manufacture pattern), as this Div was a neighbour during the same period. I've only seen those two Div patches manufactured in that way... and... I have seen a uniform with those two Div patches both with this kind of style (left shoulder: 30th, and right shoulder: 76th.

Hans

Thanks: here's the right shoulder of a uniform worn home at the end of the war by a veteran of the 823rd Tank Destroyer Bn:

3.jpg

lamarhooten

Just the other day I had to really convince another 'knowledgeable' ' collector that not all black backs are British made! Something he was told years ago by an 'expert'! A little misinformation goes a long way! This thread is another example as to why you always need to learn about your hobby. And to why this Forum is needed!

• 2 weeks later...

examples of US made OD border red border black border

all greenbacks

Hi Dennis,

I believe the one on the right is a blue border (not black): the same color as the blue part of the design

H.

An example of a double blue border (the outer blue border replaces very likely the earlier OD border) and an unusual (more oval-shaped) OD bordered patch. The border of the latter is wider than the usual OD border you see on such patches.

H.

post-4811-0-17845500-1564489584_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Nice ones, here are a few more mostly the same but a couple of different onesPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

This 30th is in a patch king patch album, red bdr us madePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk