5" Squadron ID needed

WorldWarPatches

I do believe that this is a 345th Fighter Squadron patch. The linage was given to the Pennsylvania Air National Guard after the war. They used it as their patch for a very short while. My Uncle was a pilot with the 345th in WW2. He was KIA at at a place a called La Sepezia Italy trying to take a bridge out flying in the P47.Ben

post-4101-0-49870700-1484757876_thumb.jpg

Randy after looking at the top and the tip of the gun I will agree with you. This is a 146th FS patch with the tab and border cut off. Good eye Randy I did not see that. I hate when they cut a tab off. A 146th FS is every bit as good if not harder to find than a 345th FS patch. Just a little different time period. Ben

• 2 weeks later...
350th FG Remembered

Here's a genuine WW2 345th FS "Devilhawks" cloth patch. Somewhat crude compared with the 146th ANG version.. Too bad someone cut of the tab.

post-36463-0-00781400-1485708598.jpg

Here's a genuine WW2 345th FS "Devilhawks" cloth patch. Somewhat crude compared with the 146th ANG version.. Too bad someone cut of the tab.

I'm sure this patch you posted will garner more attention, but this does not look anything like a "genuine" WW2 patch to me. In fact, it has all the characteristics of a reproduction patch that I would steer clear of. I'm curious to know how you know it's "genuine". Jeffro

350th FG Remembered

I'm sure this patch you posted will garner more attention, but this does not look anything like a "genuine" WW2 patch to me. In fact, it has all the characteristics of a reproduction patch that I would steer clear of. I'm curious to know how you know it's "genuine". Jeffro

Hello Jeffro,

Thanks for your input. I study 345th FS history and can certainly understand your skepticism. I acquired this patch some years ago but unfortunately it came without any background info. My first impression in terms of construction was that it looked unlike any other WW2 squadron patch I'd ever seen first hand - but I'm certainly not an expert. Does however seem to closely match examples of 345th cloth patches I've found in wartime photos. If you would, please share what features raise all the red flags to you that it is a repro.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

post-36463-0-05055900-1486237919.jpg

post-36463-0-86687100-1486237936.jpg

post-36463-0-36075000-1486238645.jpg

post-36463-0-10807700-1486238664.jpg

post-36463-0-73802200-1486239370.jpg

WorldWarPatches

Hello Jeffro,

Thanks for your input. I study 345th FS history and can certainly understand your skepticism. I acquired this patch some years ago but unfortunately it came without any background info. My first impression in terms of construction was that it looked unlike any other WW2 squadron patch I'd ever seen first hand - but I'm certainly not an expert. Does however seem to closely match examples of 345th cloth patches I've found in wartime photos. If you would, please share what features raise all the red flags to you that it is a repro.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Yours looks like an Andrew Butler repo outta the UK, I see a big difference in the devil's cap, head, leg has no foot, black filler under right arm and the gun is not the same.. Just My opinion and if Andrew was to chime in he'd most likely say it is one of his.

350th FG Remembered

Yours looks like an Andrew Butler repo outta the UK, I see a big difference in the devil's cap, head, leg has no foot, black filler under right arm and the gun is not the same.. Just My opinion and if Andrew was to chime in he'd most likely say it is one of his.

WorldWarPatches - Thanks for your observations. Any idea what time frame Butler could have been making copies? The 345th FS is such an obscure unit and there is very little published on the 350th FG in general. Most of what I and a few others are discovering in 345th FS photography has been in family collections for 60-70 years.

Regards,

Bob

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches - Thanks for your observations. Any idea what time frame Butler could have been making copies? The 345th FS is such an obscure unit and there is very little published on the 350th FG in general. Most of what I and a few others are discovering in 345th FS photography has been in family collections for 60-70 years.

Regards,

Bob

He is active rite now, I do not know when he started. Bob or Johnny S might know when A Butler started.

vintageproductions

Andrew has been making patches since the 80's.

A lot of people are pretty harsh on him when his name is mentioned, but he has always sold them for what they are, never made up elaborate stories to go with them.

Johnny Signor

I met Andrew briefly some years ago at a local militaria show , had a bunch of the emblems there for sale $50.00 a pop and he was making sure to tell Eveyone that the patches were recent made repros and Not telling stories about them, the only problem is the people after they bought from him that started telling "Stories" about the patches ..........

Johnny Signor

350th FG Remembered, question the image I post here , I found online , do you have any info as to it's accuracy , ??????

Johnny

The Devil is not wearing cap etc as described in other post and the machine gun is very different as is the bird's details etc, would appreciate any comments on it , thanks!!!

post-2068-0-39518300-1486278004.jpg

WorldWarPatches

I think all repo's should be permanently marked so!!!!! If you make fake money and do not mark it as a "COPY" you go to jail!!!!! Some of the repo's are marked with a date, I say cudo's to the few that do. All the other unmarked repo's made to fool a novice and sometimes even the EXPERTS would make good fuel for a bonfire. The term " makes a good filler " should be banned also.