USAF Model Aircraft ID: North American NA-335

usaf70

Need aircraft type of this USAF desktop model.

It sort of looks like the A-3 Vigilante but has curved and not straight wings.

Appreciate the assistance.

post-388-0-38062300-1484688336.jpg

northcoastaero

I honestly do not know the type of aircraft this is. Neat airplane though. Probably did not make it past the the wooden mock up stage? I looked through the books U.S. Fighters 1925-1980s and U.S. Bombers 1928-1980s both by Lloyd S. Jones. They do not contain any information on this aircraft. I will dig out the book X-Planes by Jay Miller. Maybe it is in there. What a challenge!

Pretty sure it's the North American design for the TFX competition in the early 60s. The GD F-111 was eventually chosen, I don't think the NA offering made it past the initial design stages. If so, that's gotta be rare.

Randy

Good call Randy....NAA TFX..intake design looks different than the drawing...and two seat in drawing vs one seat on mode .....lbut for the most part...looks like a good match

post-155518-0-01557900-1484773327_thumb.jpg

Problem is the backs of the wings on the model are not perpendicular or do not have a straight

vertical look to them as shown in the drawing.

The canopy area is also different.

Any further ideas are appreciated and I will be happy

to provide other photos if needed.

Since it was a concept that never even had a prototype that I know of, I think anything would be possible/probable. It probably went through dozens of tweaks in the design stage. Then NAA had to promote it and kicked out a model, not unheard of. I think the wings issue is due to the fact one of the requirements was a swing wing like the F-111 had, but I don't really see that in the existing drawings. Just a guess anyway. After looking around I can't imagine what else this could be though. That TAC Strike Command decal dates it to early 60s as well.

Randy

Any idea on what a model of this type may be worth?

I believe it is either Topping or Precise type model but does not

have the stand.

No idea, not my area. But I would think it's gotta be rare. I've run across a lot of factory models over the years, but never saw this one. The 2 guys I knew that really went after these are long gone unfortunately.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Looking again at this model, it appears it never had a stand. It does have attached landing gear and the feel and sound when tapping the model, it appears to be made out of

a very heavy piece of wood and painted.

Any guesses at all as to a value?

Thanks

northcoastaero

planecrazyent.com has bought/sold/traded many acft. manufacturers models. He should have an idea of value. I would guess at $75.00-$275.00 depending on condition, how complete, and how rare. Probably a very rare model. Hope this helps.

• 6 years later...
Vahe Demirjian
On 1/17/2017 at 1:25 PM, usaf70 said:

Need aircraft type of this USAF desktop model.

It sort of looks like the A-3 Vigilante but has curved and not straight wings.

Appreciate the assistance.

post-388-0-38062300-1484688336.jpg

Hi,

The desktop model in this photo is of the North American NA-335 air superiority fighter design, which was submitted for the F-X competition of the late 1960s that was won by McDonnell Douglas (whose design became the F-15).

Links:

https://hushkit.net/2016/03/16/the-f-15-that-never-was-the-north-american-na-335/

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/north-american-rockwell-na-335-fighter-project-to-usaf-fx-requirement.519/