usaaf fighter pilot shoes/shirt

Phfly1010

Can anyone tell me or show me in photos what the proper footwear was for USAAF World War 2 Pilots when they went up for combat missions, both ETO ans PTO?

Also, underneath their flight suit did they actually wear a dress shirt and tie in both theaters or was this done mainly for photo shoots?

Thank you all in advance for any info and pictures.

uniform/flight gear varied greatly even inside of one unit let alone a group of units in the same theater of operations...might help to know what unit you are looking to portray...footwear among aircrew varied from issue service shoe, either , shoe, 3/4 boot, or high top boot, or private purchase shoes, boots etc..

to get a good idea for actual uniforms and gear worn on missions look for photos not staged for the press..Jeff Ethell accumulated many such photos...and can be found online, coffee table style books on the AAF etc

the main thing that I found among AAF units was availability of gear, and function ability...they wore what they had in the area, and what worked, kept them warm etc...

I am gonna go out on a limb and ask if you are gearing up for the next reading WWII weekend...

Thanks for the info. Not counting on finding pilot shoes to buy due to scarcity and cost, but always wondered about this issue. And as for the air show, absolutely if I don't have to work. Plus my wedding anniversary is June 4 so it's tough to make our anniversary trip the Reading air show ;). Actually, my wife is very understanding of both my USAAF collection hobby and delaying anniversary celebration.

Do you recall what the cost of those shoes is and what the name of the store is? We visit oc md a few times a year so we get down your way sojetimes. Thanks.

Dover army navy. Lockerman st...they have a web site...email Eric..or call them..

Eric knows where they are located...or let me know when u come up...I will meet you...

John