Kidde Gun Charger

sundance

I recently picked up an item not knowing exactly what it was but hoping it was a "bail out" bottle. Since it was cheap I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. The shop owner wasn't sure what it was. It's a steel (I'd guess) gas cylinder 9" tall, about 3 1/2" in diameter with a Kidde X4015 valve marked G that is just over 3 1/4" tall on top. The top half of the tank is painted red and the bottom is yellow. the top portion has the following stamped on it: Non Shatterable , US Govt. 6-43, ICC 3A1800, K71958F and WK & Co. Painted on the side is "Air or Nitrogen,Gas Charge 1500Lbs. per sq. in. max, Mount Valve something and Gun Charger". I haven't found the item on the internet but did see a wartime ad by Kidde stating something about a gun charger being able to clear a jam in a planes machine guns. Sorry no picture. Anyone know what this gas bottle is? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I'm guessing you've answered your own question. I suspect the cylinder was what drove the charger mechanism and was a replaceable part. I found a reference here;

https://books.google.ca/books?id=4CEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=Kidde+GUn+Charger&source=bl&ots=KCZbmXTDd3&sig=rH6VODB7lDNjfVGYDOJnPORjDSw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0hIrXm7DWAhXGyFQKHT6hBz4Q6AEIMDAC#v=onepage&q=Kidde%20GUn%20Charger&f=false