Charles Fischer Skyway Goggle Questions

reinking71

Picked up a set of Skyway goggles and have some questions. These are nickel plated rather than the black painted I usually see, any distinction between between the painted and non painted? They have a single face pad with chamois backing and green tinted glass lenses. We're these issued or just private purchase?

Thank you

There are several headgear experts here..they will know...dig the goggles ...just not sure if private purchase or pre war/early issue USN...there are several threads on skyway and seeall goggles on the forum...just have to navigate your way through em all....

and most likely USN use.. I believe the USAAF versions were mostly marked as such.. though obviously I'm sure there were exceptions.

Late? thought they standardized to the AN-6530 then the rubber B8s...would agree USN...the USAAF early and prewar used the B7 then the AN-6530s, followed by the B8s...

reinking71,

I would have to respectfully disagree with some of the other member's take on these goggles. To my thought, these are a commercial goggle made available for sale to civil aviation users, rather than a military issue item. The version of the Skyway goggle with black painted frames I'm familiar with are also made by Charles Fisher Spring, but have the individual eye cushions which are stitched to the frames, not a one-piece cushion that can be easily removed and replaced. Another difference would be the upper vents. On your set, they are the proprietary CFS "streamlined" vents, but on those with the black frame, just four small vents per lens. That being said, I do not doubt that they were used by some military fliers as a private purchase item, but I've seen no evidence to date that they were contracted for or issued as military equipment. Below is a set of goggles like yours and the CFS box they were supplied with, as sold by Air Associates in Brooklyn, NY.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-22452700-1484863735_thumb.jpg

What's different about the Chas. Fischer goggles that come in a USN issue box?

And by late I meant later than the earlier style vented goggles with the 'tubes'.

Hi Brobs,

Sorry to seem dense, but I'm not sure what type of CFS goggles you are refering to that come in a USN issue box? Their MK-I, MK-II, AN-6530 and MK-IV goggles all came in USN issue boxes. Do you have a photo or description of the box you make reference to?

As for "early" and "late" vents, "streamlined" vs. "tubes", that is just an old collector myth. The "streamlined" vents were propriotory to CFS and the "tube" vents were propriotory to American Optical and both styles predate WW2. https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_106.html

Regards, Paul

Paul thanks for the explanation..

and that's what I meant was were the Charles Fischer goggles issued in the USN box all marked as AN-6530 or were some simply marked with company name?

Always trying to learn here and appreciate all your information and help.

It's not always easy to find info on some of these USN items for me.

that links helps me a lot!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

You are more than welcome. We are all learning, all the time. As a generalization, I think it would be safe to say that any wartime CFS goggle that was contracted for and issued by the USN would have a Navy contract number on the box label and in most cases, the Navy anchor acceptance mark stamped on the box somewhere, although the ink on those stamps can fade with age and be hard to see.

Some examples below, showing CFS produced MK-II, AN-6530 and Mk-IV boxes.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-40426000-1484926458.jpg

post-9787-0-55358000-1484926502.jpg

post-9787-0-84370200-1484926525.jpg