Hayward Badges (STERLING)

triplecanopy

I have so far be unable to find out much of anything about this maker, HAYWARD. None of my references even list this name. So I will post some insignia made by HAYWARD in the hope that it will be useful and one or more of the more knowledgeable members can provide more details. All I can add is these are very high quality die struck badges that seem to be very uncommon. Here is a 2nd Award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or CIB.I will add a couple other examples below.

post-48217-0-95688600-1484488401_thumb.jpg

This is a 1st Award CIB made by HAYWARD. Note the frosted back and two piece design. The rifle is attached in three places by rivets.

post-48217-0-47058200-1484488577_thumb.jpg

Here is a basic EOD or Explosive Ordinance Disposal badge with pin back fastener and marked HAYWARD STERLING.

Note again the high quality of manufacture and the frosted appearance of the reverse side. Comments welcome.

post-48217-0-76074500-1484488979.jpg

post-48217-0-97645900-1484488995.jpg

By chance, I came across this information on Hayward. Walter E. Hayward Jewelry Co. Attleboro, Massachusetts

In 1851 the Walter E. Hayward Company was founded in Attleboro, MA. the Hayward company manufactured men’s and ladies jewelry in karat gold, gold filled and sterling silver and sold through jewelry wholesalers and distributors. they were a pioneer of the private label business. They later merged with another company.

After a bit more digging, I came across this information:

In 1905, A&Z Chain Company was founded in Providence, RI. Like Walter E. Hayward, A&Z also manufactured and sold fine jewelry, but A&Z sold directly to independent jewelers.

In 1975, A&Z Chain Co and the Walter E. Hayward Co. merged. They moved into one operating entity housed in a 50,000 square foot manufacturing plant in East Providence, RI. The product lines were refined and sold directly to independent jewelers and department stores throughout the United States.

In 1977, Allison Reed, a costume jewelry company with a wide breadth of products, a showroom in England and an international customer base, bought A&Z Hayward. This was a good merger for both companies and their customers.

Today Allison Reed Jewelry manufactures and sells 14k gold, sterling silver and costume jewelry for men and women.