WW2 Army Dress Blues

Vpep

Buff was popular in the Revolutionary War, as seen in most pictures of George Washington in uniform. I read somewhere it was supposed to be the color of tanned leather. The Army Institute of Heraldry now defines it as Pantone PMS 465, though that looks a little darker on my screen than what I usually think of.

What a great QM find. Thanks for sharing and good luck putting the rest of it together. I can tell you finding older QM stuff is a challenge!

I appreciate the compliments. This will be a challenge, but that's never stopped me before. Hopefully luck will be with me and I'll be able to find at least a few pieces for it

• 1 year later...
Ranger-1972

You might want to contact the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum at Ft Lee, VA (http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/main.html?n=1).

They have the best collection of Army uniforms of any museum -- since the QMC were the ones responsible for all the regulation patterns for all the uniforms of all the branches of the Army.

Not that I'm a uniform nerd (I am), but my wife & I stopped there while on our honeymoon back in the mid-1970s (when I was still a young pup). (She is very understanding, and we're still married.)

Another place to check to see "what you are looking for" would be the U.S. Army Center of Military History's site at Ft Belvoir, VA -- where they have a tremendous collection of Army uniforms & headgear.

• 2 years later...

Came across this fantastic photo, a January 1943 photo of Marian Anderson giving a performance in the lobby of the Department of the Interior Building in Washington  See the Blue Uniforms. At very first we thought these were Black Officers of one of the several all Black pre war units or those thus formed after the war started wearing the Blue Uniforms and still wearing the Sam Brown Belts, which would of been very rare indeed. It was a tiny image that I had to enlarge for a better view, and as we see these are not GIs but rather ROTC, M38s we're thinking right, or at best ones based on it, They have to be from one of the all Black University's ROTC, Howard University would be my first guess as it was in Washington DC, and Howard starts its ROTC program like in 1918, so by WWII its ROTC has a history in DC.

download.png