WWI "German Life-Saver" Patch from Doughboy Scrapbook?

hist3891

This was included in a small lot of items from a member of Company B, 30th Engineers (1st Gas and Flame Regiment). It is pasted to a regular sheet of black scrapbook paper. There is clear evidence that the sheet also included photos, but they are now long gone. The caption is "German life-saver taken from the uniform of a G. soldier on a French battle field in 1918." The patch is about the size of a quarter.

Does anyone know what this insignia represents?

Thanks,

hist3891

post-24076-0-14930600-1484284796_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention that I have quite a bit of information on this soldier. He participated in the following engagements: Offensive Operations Flanders Mar. 2 to Mar. 18, 1918; Fey 'en-Heye June 18-19, 1918; Sergues July 31st & Aug. 2, 1918; St. Thibaut Aug 6, 1918; Vesle Aug. 19, 1918; Argonne Meuse Sept. 26th to Nov. 11, 1918.

Received gas wound March 18, 1918.

Overseas from Dec. 26, 1917 to Feb. 12, 1919.

-hist3891

Backtheattack,

That is an interesting idea. Do you know of any sources that reference impregnated cloth being used for gas detection? A friend of mine suggested that it could be a Masonic emblem (please don't kill me because I'm a Mason), but I have not been able to find any fraternal insignia that is even remotely similar.

-hist3891