Sweetheart Pillow covers / pillow shams

Greg Sebring

More.

Eric, There are a lot of cool covers posted. Thanks for the offer on the case. I only have 2 from the 'Gap and it is not that far away from where I live. Rich A.

I had no idea there were so many variations. My dad brought back two small velvet pieces that make me wonder if they too are some type pillow sham. Both have a smooth sewn edge so maybe they are just table top protectors. Both are stamped on the back, "souvenier of Antwerp". I have one photographed with grenade and schrapnel fragments on the top side. The other shows the stamping on the back. Not being U.S. made, Moderator please delete if you feel not appropriate to this thread....not a problem with me.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Greg

post-118-1171666782.jpg

post-118-1171666813.jpg

Here is one of a kind! This pillow cover was sewn by a sailor aboard the USS Mississippi (BB-23), ca. 1910. The material is taken from the dark blue Navy jumper. The backing is black silk and was likely made from a neckerchief. Around the edge are four "USS Mississippi" cap tallies with the gold wire lettering. Various rates, etc. were hand-stitched with coordinating-color thread.

post-211-1171723831.jpg

General Apathy

Siege 1863, A very, very nice example of a personalised pillow cover, you must be very happy with that one, and thanks also for all the work put into adding the descriptions for all the devices. Sadly lots of nice things would not be seen by most if not for forums like this one. Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

Hi to everyone that has posted pillowcases, and also to anyone who wishes to start collecting them in the future. Please be careful with the covers that are ' flock ' printed, due to the age of these covers very often the flock will crack and peel off along the fold lines. Sometimes as well, the cover will split along fold lines, it is generally best if possible to store them flat, it puts less stress on the materials.

I hope this little piece of advice helps preserve your covers, and avoid that big feeling of loss experienced when finding damage to the covers.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy,You are correct about the flocking and storage. I have a few that are "flat" kinda. I have them thumb tacked to the walls and on the ceiling of my one room. Rich A.

Very nice pillow cover collection. Do you collect them, or did you just bought them when you saw them for sale? You have alot of them, really nice thumbsup.gif

Eric,Thanks! I buy them when I see them like I do with all U.S. W.W.1 /2 / 'Nam stuff,German W.W.1/2,Italian W.W.1/2,W.W.2 Japanese stuff or whatever I think is neat. I go to flea markets(when it is not snowing/raining and at least 40 degrees F. outside). Thrift stores all the time. House sales,estate sales when I can.Antique stores sometimes. Rich A.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks really nice Rich. thumbsup.gif I have a small question, whats the best way to store these pillow covers? I dont have the room yet to display it. I have it folded up like it was orginally folded in a plastic bag in the closet.

Greg Sebring

I'm just going to guess but I'll say store them flat to avoid the crease marks. A large acid free photo album might do the trick.

Greg

Greg Sebring

Eric,

I'd use an acid free paper, not just plain cardboard. Check a scrapbook store or frame shop for acid free items. modern day paper/cardboard can contain acid which could discolor or damage collectible goods.

thumbsup.gif

Greg

• 4 weeks later...
The next is a post war occupation piece. The green silk is in a pretty fragile state otherwise its in very nice shape.

Charlie

Here's a nice one to the 5th Regiment WW1.

post-832-1176948002.jpg

General Apathy

Hello fightn5th, I have nothing to say about your pillow cover only, What a Beauty, I would love that in my collection of covers and deeply envious.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 1 month later...

(EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS WAS MERGED FROM ANOTHER THREAD)

Here are a couple I picked up recently. I have a hard time paying over a few $'s apiece for these. I am "cheap", these only cost me .50 cents. Does anyone collect these things? I have a friend who has over 200 of them.

post-98-1179677275.jpg