Berchtesgaden bring backs

Eagle's Nest

Hey guys

As some of you may know I collect GI souvenirs from Berchtesgaden, the Eagle's Nest and so on. These pieces are hard to come by, especially with the provenance you need to be able to relax and enjoy them.

Here are a couple of pieces, both looted and sent back by US combat engineers.

The teapot came from a guy in the 1269th Engineer Combat Bn, and was taken from Hitler's home, the Berghof. The cup and saucer were taken from the Eagle's Nest—Hitler's tea house in the mountains—by a member of the 290th Engineer Combat Bn. He was among the first into the building, along with guys from the 3rd Infantry Division and, of course, the 101st who arrived hours later.

I hope you like them as much as I do.

Chris

post-3671-0-40147300-1484129617_thumb.jpg

Those are great bring backs..

Have you ever found these in period photos being utilized by their former owners?? I enjoy looking for the then and now proof in pictures..

Leigh

439th Signal Battalion

Hey guys

As some of you may know I collect GI souvenirs from Berchtesgaden, the Eagle's Nest and so on. These pieces are hard to come by, especially with the provenance you need to be able to relax and enjoy them.

Here are a couple of pieces, both looted and sent back by US combat engineers.

The teapot came from a guy in the 1269th Engineer Combat Bn, and was taken from Hitler's home, the Berghof. The cup and saucer were taken from the Eagle's Nest—Hitler's tea house in the mountains—by a member of the 290th Engineer Combat Bn. He was among the first into the building, along with guys from the 3rd Infantry Division and, of course, the 101st who arrived hours later.

I hope you like them as much as I do.

Chris

Interesting! Thank you for posting.

The man who built the house that I currently live in was with C Company, 1269th Engineer Combat Battalion from 44-45. I have his Ike Jacket, discharge papers and a few other odd and ends but I am not aware if any of it came from Berchetesgaden.

Thanks for all your nice comments. Yes, focusing on such a tight collecting niche can be very challenging at times—but I love researching the vets and the stuff they brought back.

@Leigh - great question and, yes, sometimes I am lucky enough to spot either the exact piece in a period photo, or pieces just like them.

Here are two such examples on my collector site:

http://www.souvenirsofwar.com/work/#/new-gallery/

http://www.souvenirsofwar.com/work/#/eagles-nest-seat-cushion/

Very impressive collection!

I found a 1933 dated wooden Berchtesgaden souvenir plate from a local veterans estate sale. Unfortunately I didn't get any other information with it.