ATF B-10 Opinions?

falcon_ib

Looking for info regarding At The Front B-10s. Does anyone have any experience with their new run, especially compared to heavy-hitters like Eastman and Buzz Rickson?

Thanks!

Evan

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen their current run, but I had one of their first ones and it was OK. Kept me warm, looked the part.

I have a Buzz Superior Togs B-10 and it's a great jacket. Here's a link to HPA where I bought it:

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/brands/buzz-ricksons-usaaf-b-10-intermediate-flying-jacket-superior-togs-co/

Now, that being said, on vintageleatherjackets.org, some guys found these jackets:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-male-short-design-US-air-force-B10-cotton-jacket-free-shipping/1229407_32525147374.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.MXpGc5

From the pics from that guy that bought one, they look pretty good.

• 2 months later...

I have one and have owned several originals over the years.

Yeah, the Buzz Rickson one is the ‘top of the mountain’ for B-10s, but for what you’re paying for one of those, I don’t think you get much better value for authenticity than you do with the ATF one.

The only problem is that ATF isn’t marking them with the AAF meatball, which isn’t correct (I assume the airborne re-enactors kept demanding not to have it). But I bought mine when he had a sale, and I’m VERY pleased with it. It’s a great fitting jacket, quite accurate and a darned good value for what you pay for one.

I just wish it’d had the correct AAF markings on the left sleeve, though. That’s my only major gripe about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not all B-10s came with the AAF marking on the left sleeve. Kind of depended on time and manufacturer. I have two Stagg originals with no markings and a Fitzwell Sports original with no markings.

Of the five B-10s I have, only two have the left shoulder markings and they aren't repro.

My collecting focus was on leather jackets, not B10s and 15s, so ill take your word for that.

That said, all the original B10s I recall seeing or owning had the meatball on the left sleeve.

My collecting focus was on leather jackets, not B10s and 15s, so ill take your word for that.

That said, all the original B10s I recall seeing or owning had the meatball on the left sleeve.

I really think it's hit or miss. Same for the A-9 pants that go with the B-10. I saw it written somewhere that it's rare to see the markings on them, yet I have two pair that both have the supposed 'rare' marking. Fluke I guess. Photo evidence shows the B-10 with and without the marking. Same with the epaulets on the shoulders.

Yeah I've become a bit of a B-10 junkie :)

Not all B-10s came with the AAF marking on the left sleeve. Kind of depended on time and manufacturer. I have two Stagg originals with no markings and a Fitzwell Sports original with no markings.

Of the five B-10s I have, only two have the left shoulder markings and they aren't repro.

agreed The markings are not always there.Just like on A2 and B3 jackets.Not all had the decal.But collectors and purists tend to think everyone was marked.

agreed The markings are not always there.Just like on A2 and B3 jackets.Not all had the decal.But collectors and purists tend to think everyone was marked.

I used to collect A-2 and owned several at one point, and I don't think I hardly ever saw any original ones with the decals on them.

Saw plenty of shearling ones with the simply white decal, though.

Hi,

I bought mine when they first came back in stock (a year ago?). I don't have an original to compare it to, but I have a number of photos of a number of originals and I observed details of originals during my recent visit to the National Museum of the US Air Force. Also there is no way I'm paying the BuzzRickson price for their B-10.

I like it. I wore it through this past winter here in Germany and it kept me very warm. I did swap out the collar for real mouton (taken from a 1970s ladies winter coat I bought on eBay for $10.00). The ATF collar is fine, I just wanted real mouton.

Hope this helps, Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
phantomfixer

The Hap Arnold star decal/print on shoulder did not appear until 1943...anything issued after 43 would have had the star..once production caught up with the requirement...early B-10s might not have had the star...