03 A3 with sniper scope HELP

SGT York

Hi I have an 03 A3 with a sniper scope. I want to sell it,but since it is not an A4 and fitting in the confirmed listing on issued sniper rigs, how do I value it? The gun is superb dated 9-43 ..It is also my undertanding many rifle later on were issued as sniper guns in this configuration. Thoughts, help pricing etc would be great thanks.

Many pics available,,too hard to post here, with the size restrictions.

post-9646-0-33442500-1484086557.jpg

post-9646-0-43655800-1484086676.jpg

Are you sure thats not an 03 a4 pictures are small. Bolt and scope look correct....

it's my understanding the 04s were marked as such....and the serial # is 4,0xx,xxx..I am NOT an expert on these.

post-9646-0-20332100-1484091821.jpg

03A4's were marked 03A3 like any other, except it was offset to the left side so it could be read with the scope installed, that is the way to tell at a glance if it is a real A4 or not, and if it wasn't built as an A4, it's not a real A4...

03A4's were marked 03A3 like any other, except it was offset to the left side so it could be read with the scope installed, that is the way to tell at a glance if it is a real A4 or not, and if it wasn't built as an A4, it's not a real A4...

I never claimed it was an A4...but am I wrong that 03 were issued withscopes as well, especially l;ater as there was no real difference in performance? Just rtying to figure out what I have, and put it on the market for a fair price. 1 of many guns I'm selling from our family collection.

I will check, but I don't think the military ever used standard A3's to make A4's...but I could be wrong.

I will agree the scope is correct as is the bolt...but my guess is it was put together...even if it is a "repro" it's still worth quite a bit...

The rifle will be worth the sum of its parts, generally speaking. "Collector value" of the receiver is gone. In my opinion, "fair price" will be dependent upon that plus finding the correct buyer.

Which is to say it could for the sake of argument have 1,000 dollars' 'value' in the 'scope, rings, mount, bolt, stock, etc. But unless you get hooked up with a buyer that is looking for such a thing (I have both made and purchased an 03A3 similar to this, in A4 configuration) you'll be faced with buyers who look upon it as a bargain or as a rifle for parts for some other rifle. In both cases they will not want to pay that hypothetical "1,000 dollars".

So my first suggestion is to start by looking on it as the sum of its parts. Are there any 03A4 parts? Such as the bolt?

The rifle will be worth the sum of its parts, generally speaking. "Collector value" of the receiver is gone. In my opinion, "fair price" will be dependent upon that plus finding the correct buyer.

Which is to say it could for the sake of argument have 1,000 dollars' 'value' in the 'scope, rings, mount, bolt, stock, etc. But unless you get hooked up with a buyer that is looking for such a thing (I have both made and purchased an 03A3 similar to this, in A4 configuration) you'll be faced with buyers who look upon it as a bargain or as a rifle for parts for some other rifle. In both cases they will not want to pay that hypothetical "1,000 dollars".

So my first suggestion is to start by looking on it as the sum of its parts. Are there any 03A4 parts? Such as the bolt?

How do I tell, re the bolt?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of a4's will comment but I believe your scope is a standard commercial 330 and not the proper commercial 330C that was used on the early snipers which significantly effects value. Just something else to verify.

Could you show the inspection stamps on the bottom of the stock, around the TG? I believe 03A4 stocks will have several.

Chuck

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of a4's will comment but I believe your scope is a standard commercial 330 and not the proper commercial 330C that was used on the early snipers which significantly effects value. Just something else to verify.

Tell me more... what to look for?

From my understanding the military scopes have the flat knuckled knobs for adjustment not the set screws..marked 330 or M73B1

Some civilian scopes are said to be used but The set screw ones are civilian

Im not able to get to my Canfield book or another that has details.

I'm sorry but it is my opinion that although your bolt is well fitted and looks very good, it's not an original 03A4 bolt.

Hey, that's OK...here's my 2 questions..1. Were regular 03A3s issued for sniper use? and 2. Could you help me value the rig? part of a family collection, I need to sell.

post-9646-0-08104500-1484266459.jpg

I have no reference material that leads me to believe a 'standard' 03A3 was made into an 03A4 for the US military. Frankly, they just weren't good enough sniper rifles to bother.

Originally, 03A4s were stamped '03A3" but with the markings and s/n offset so that they could be clearly read with the mount in place. On rebuild, some had the final '3' in 03A3 overstamped or 'X'd out' and a '4' stamped in its place.

Looks to me as if your stock is a replacement Keystone C-stock. Look for a "K" in the cut-off recess. Weaver 330 'scope, not a 330C. But still, a desirable 'scope, just not as desirable

Does the mount have 'redfield' stamped on it?

I hate to give value judgments. I can't see it myself or handle it, I'm not an eminent authority, and as soon as I say "X dollars" somebody else will say "Y dollars".

03A3 bolt, what is essentially a sporterized 03A3 receiver, assuming good bore, no cracks in stock, assuming original mount and rings, correct triggerguard and furniture, assuming good 330 scope...650ish dollars of "value" but that is to the buyer that wants an 03A4 clone. It's just really hard to gauge what interest there will be and how long you'd have to sit on i to get that much though. The "original" mount rings etc may not mean much to a buyer buying a clone. I'm sorry to not be more exact.

That Krag potentially might be a nice one.