VN Era Pilot's Kneeboard - Parts Source?

Speewack

I have inherited an old Pilot's Kneeboard that is missing the light cover / red lens. I remember playing with it as a child and that it had a cover over the bulb to direct the light toward the paper. It also had a red lens to help preserve night vision.

I'd like to find a new or reproduction light cover for this kneeboard and possibly the foam pads for the back, but don't know where to begin looking.

Do any of you have ideas of where to begin looking for such things, or if there is even a market for parts?

post-164742-0-10234600-1484067389_thumb.jpg

post-164742-0-12580300-1484067421_thumb.jpg

the 163 is pretty common on ebay and cheap...usually less than 20 bucks for a complete assembly...a tad more for NOS

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=MXU-163+pilot+knee+board&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=19901&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

more like 30 for used ones...but still...they can be had for replacement parts cheap

Thank you all for the information.

One thing I've struggled with is that the 163 changed over the years, so searching on mine has been challenging. I did see them on ebay for cheap which tells me there probably isn't a market for pieces of them or that any part might be relatively expensive compared to the value of the whole thing.

This particular one is valuable to me because it belonged to my dad. I don't know where he got it as he was never a pilot. It may have been from another family member or he may have just bought it. He used it for Rallye races in the 1980s to do his navigation calculations. I have his car that he drove in those races, and this (to me) goes with it as part of his gear that I remember from my childhood.