Unknown maker Combat Medic Badge -pinback

triplecanopy

Here is a Senior Combat Medic Badge that is an older pin back version. It has an unusual Hallmark that I am unable to identify. I thought about posting this one in the Hallmarks Reference section, but until it is ID'd, that would not help. It would just be unknown (at least to me). Reverse side in next post

post-48217-0-22913700-1484062334_thumb.jpg

Reverse side of above Combat Medic Badge. Notice the Hallmark which to me looks like a "V" with an unusual bow like symbol. Any one ever seen this before?

post-48217-0-92275800-1484062592_thumb.jpg

Another photo of the Senior Combat Medic Badge with pin in open position. This badge appears to have been polished and worn on a uniform at some time in the past.

post-48217-0-85705900-1484062990_thumb.jpg

​Not sure of the maker, but thats a nice looking badge.

Indeed, on the hallmark, at first glance I thought it was an upside down ASSMANN.

As a frame of reference for any other members, a 2nd Award CMB will date after February 1951.

Indeed, on the hallmark, at first glance I thought it was an upside down ASSMANN.

As a frame of reference for any other members, a 2nd Award CMB will date after February 1951.

​I didn't look at it as being upside down. I see it now.

The reference I have says this hallmark is for the Vargas Manufacturing Company. I found the information listed below on the Internet and they describe one of their hallmark since 1945 as "V in an elongated diamond shape".

VARGAS: 1945 - 1980?

The Vargas Manufacturing Company was founded in provenance, RI in 1945 and produced ornamental costume jewelry, prong set with clear and colored rhinestones, faux pearls and simulated colored glass stones (ruby, sapphire and opal) on sterling silver, 10k gold filled, gold plated and silver plated base metals. Many pieces designs (bracelets in particular) had 3-dimensional detailed surfaces layered with huge repousse’ scrolled leaves and textured berries set on an antique finish of silvertone and goldtone metal with smooth and shining surfaces on the interior of the jewelry pieces. The bracelets, at least 1 ½" wide, opened wide, were hinged and came with a safety chain for added security. Many of the jewelry designs were identical to those made by Whiting & Davis also located in provenance, RI, (sharing designs -the practice between competing costume jewelry houses was not uncommon in the 1940s and 1950s), and competition was prevalent in those days. Mark: "V in an elongated diamond shape" since 1945, "VARGAS" ornamental jewelry since June 1945, "Vargas 10K GF", "Cradle Craft" in script on children’s jewelry, pendants, necklaces, pins, bracelets and finger rings in Sept. 1946, " a large V partly inside and outside a triangle" particularly on ornamental jewelry for children since Jam. 15, 1947, "Lucky Elephant" in 1960 and "Brazilia" in 1971, "Grandee" in 1971, "Bennard" in 1969. It is assumed that the company ceased operations in 1980.

Good job Tonomachi.

Vargas Manufacturing Company it is.

From the online Hallmarks page.

"Vargas Manufacturing Company, provenance, RI. Horizontal diamond with superimposed "V". First use 1947"