Unusual Materials Used in Manufacturing of Insignia

cthomas

Bronze. I thought that was the prescribed material used for the manufacture of US insignia during WWI. But over the years, I've encountered what I took to be steel, pot metal and other-than-bronze like material in my travels.

The first example shows two different materials used in US Officer collar insignia. The example at left is made out of what I could best describe as steel. It's durable as heck, and not plyable or malleable in any way (you'd think just the opposite if it were made with a cheaper composite metal). The other example is made from standard bronze.

The aviation collar disc is made from a yellowish metal that may be a shade of bronze (i.e. Fire Bronze with its reddish hue)...or something else entirely. This disc was manufactured by the US Specialty Co. of N.Y.

I am hoping there are other members out there that can spot similar anomalies in their collection. If so, bring them forward! I don't believe there's ever been a dedicated discussion on the topic.

- Chuck

post-518-0-13742100-1484015381_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-69487500-1484015625.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have two different collar disks made by u.s. specialty co. and have seen others and noticed these were made of brass rather than bronze. I have encountered steel versions as well and believe these to be foreign made. I never read or heard of u.s. manufacturers using steel. Perhaps someone may add something on this.

I have two different collar disks made by u.s. specialty co. and have seen others and noticed these were made of brass rather than bronze. I have encountered steel versions as well and believe these to be foreign made. I never read or heard of u.s. manufacturers using steel. Perhaps someone may add something on this.

Can you share a scan or two for reference? I'm trying to get a visual of the different materials used...

Thanks!

-Chuck

The specialty disks I have are similar to your aviation disk as it shows a gold wear on the edges and on the center. The steel versions I have seen in Griffin military. You scroll down the ww1 disks and you can see a few that are made of steel by the worn edges. His pics are much better than I could produce.