New USMC Flight Helmet...APH6?

TLeo

I picked up a new Marine Corps helmet today after some negotiations with the seller, that is named and flown by this officer as C.O. of VMFAT-201 at Cherry Point. A couple photo copy pictures came along with it as well and I may possibly be able to get his leather, patched flight jacket at some point. I believe this is a aph6 and it has the "swing align" bayonet receivers which I have only seen in photos. It needs new foam in the ear cups but it is all complete. I have not run into these type earphone elements before so if someone can ID them, it would be great. They are obviously original to the helmet. Helmet does have some period looking repairs to the visor housing shown here.

He flew in VN with VMA-211, and also served with VMA3-11 and at one point VA-55 aboard the USS Coral Sea as an exchange officer. He also served as Marine representative to the US Air Force Academy. He was awarded a Purple Heart, and six air medals among his other awards.

post-5081-0-86511200-1483991152.jpg

post-5081-0-04821900-1483991168.jpg

post-5081-0-06742800-1483991182.jpg

post-5081-0-62294200-1483991202.jpg

You lucky man I been looking at this on eBay for a while but too expensive for me,a very rare original cool helmet,when you find a mask to go with it please post a pic ,good find.

You lucky man I been looking at this on eBay for a while but too expensive for me,a very rare original cool helmet,when you find a mask to go with it please post a pic ,good find.

Thanks. It was pretty high but we negotiated quite a bit before I felt comfortable about buying it. I'll eventually get around to finding a mask for it.

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! Most likely made by a custom flight helmet company such as Protection Inc. or Gentex. The

helmet shell could be a DH-151 if it is lightweight or a modified APH-6 series. Take a look behind the

ear cups/pads to see if there is a mfr. label. There could also be information on the back of the form fit

liner and underneath the visor housing. I have heard of these smaller earphone elements

as part of custom helmets. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Nice, aboard USS Coral Sea during the 1964-65 cruise, the squadron was the VA 155

post-1289-0-11850800-1484003531_thumb.jpg

easy to find on the VA 155 officers picture

Best, croc

Nice helmet! Most likely made by a custom flight helmet company such as Protection Inc. or Gentex. The

helmet shell could be a DH-151 if it is lightweight or a modified APH-6 series. Take a look behind the

ear cups/pads to see if there is a mfr. label. There could also be information on the back of the form fit

liner and underneath the visor housing. I have heard of these smaller earphone elements

Nothing under the ear cups or beneath the housing I can see so if there is one, must be under the liner.

Hi,

Nice, aboard USS Coral Sea during the 1964-65 cruise, the squadron was the VA 155

attachicon.gifVA 155.jpg

easy to find on the VA 155 officers picture

Best, croc

Thanks for that photo Croc.!!

This period helmet would be using the MS22001 mask, correct?

Luckily for me the "bayonets" were still in the receivers so all I needed to do was find a mask for it. Well I got a super nice mask and it kames a nice display!

post-5081-0-75449500-1484244904.jpg

post-5081-0-20336700-1484244923.jpg

northcoastaero

TLeo,

I guess all that you need for the MS-22001 is a Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator and Oxytronics or REDAR lower high pressure hose with a locking connector at the end.

TLeo,

I guess all that you need for the MS-22001 is a Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator and Oxytronics or REDAR lower high pressure hose with a locking connector at the end.

I'll keep my eyes open for those....thx!