Display Aircraft at Luke AFB, Phoenix Arizona

gwb123

I was fortunate enough to visit Luke Air Force Base over the Christmas holiday, and to be able to visit the Base Air Park. Here they have gathered aircraft that previously had been displayed at various locations around the base. All represent types that were flown for training purposes.

All of these looked fresh and apparently were all repainted within the last 5 years. All of them looked ready to take to the sky.

http://www.luke.af.mil/News/Features/Display/tabid/3110/Article/641665/history-gets-a-paintjob.aspx

In the center of the park is a frame statue of a SPAD representing a the aircraft that 2nd Lt Frank Luke Jr.flew during World War I.

BB 100.jpg

I will try to post these in rough chronological order.

The oldest aircraft there was this AT-6 in colorful training markings.

BB 71.jpg

BB 72.jpg

BB 73.jpg

Next is a T-33 Shooting Star. Note the base chapel in the background, which dates back to 1941.

BB 1.jpg

BB 2.jpg

BB 3.jpg

BB 4.jpg

As an aside, this is the kind of thing that air museums will do, but will drive aircraft enthusiasts and spotters crazy.

BB 5.jpg

Next up is the star of the show, an F-84F Thunderstreak, painted as a member of the Thunderbirds.

Per the same website this is 52-6782 portraying 52-6779. Still, quite colorful to look at.

BB 31.jpg

BB 32.jpg

BB 35.jpg

BB 37.jpg

BB 38.jpg

BB 39.jpg

F-104. To me, the F-104 looks like it is moving fast even when it is sitting still. It is a classic of Cold War interceptor design.

BB 10.jpg

BB 11.jpg

BB 12.jpg

BB 13.jpg

BB 17.jpg

And again, the display F-104 is an aircraft repainted to represent another actually flown at Luke to train the Luftwaffe.

BB 18.jpg

If the F-104 looked elegant, the F-4 just looks mean. Even more so if you ever saw one diving out of the sky on you.

This one is an actual hero aircraft. F-4 Phantom II 67-327 is credited with shooting down a Mig-21 over Vietnam on September 9, 1972. It was flown by a Cpt. Tibbett with 1LT Hargrove in the back seat, assigned to the 555th TFS. The victory was scored using 20mm cannon.

BB 52.jpg

BB 53.jpg

In addition to the Air Park, there is an F-16A and an F-16C located elsewhere on base. While I had the chance to see them, I did not have a chance to photograph them. For the sake of a complete record, these photos are taken from the website: http://www.skytamer.com/6.1/AZ/Glendale,Luke.html and are credited to "A Friend in Arizona".

Also note according to this website http://www.air-and-space.com/Luke%20Airpark.htm there had also been other display aircraft at Luke included a F-102, a F-105, and an F-104 in Luftwaffe colors.

Luke is an active US Air Force base with restrictions as to who can enter. However, as recently as 2016 it has posted a public airshow. If you visit the base, make sure to make the Air Park one of your stops.

BB 81.jpg

BB 90.jpg

Great to see all this, Gil

They surely do keep those birds in fine condition!

Thanks. The only downside is they have blacked out the canopies. But that is most likely to protect the interiors. Unfortunate, but probably necessary.

Great pictures wonder how many new airmen would love to fly some of the relics of the past

Luke is a training base. They keep them plenty busy with F-16's and F-35's. But you are right... it seems pilots always want to fly whatever is around!