NY Father (CGM, Sampson Medal - WW1) & Son (SGT, “K” Co., 7th IR, 3rd ID, Cisterna Silver Star, Anzio “Breakout” KIA Purple Heart)

aerialbridge

Amazing find and beautiful grouping.I am surprised the sons marker doesn't have his Silver Star & PH.Is the WW1 Victory medal named on the rim? I have been looking for one since I've seen them on the forum.

What a wonderful historic grouping. Your research is brilliant! Thank you for memorializing these men & sharing with the Forum. Semper Fi......Bobgee

I was glued to my screen watching this thread last night! An excellent tribute to a family who sacrificed a lot for our country! Thanks for sharing and keeping here memory alive!

You have a truly wonderful and historic family group. Fantastic job of research. Thanks to you they will not be forgotten and thank you for sharing!

Dick

aerialbridge

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all your comments. Mariner, I noticed you were there as I was posting this thread the other night. I figured it might have put you to sleep, but glad to hear that wasn't the case, my friend.

FF, no rim engraving on the WWI Vic. On the VA headstones, I don't think I've seen any WW2 era ones with awards inscribed on them. Gysgt, I was surprised too that having been mounted in frames and hung on a wall for perhaps years that the Span Am medals were in as good shape as they are.

I've had this group for a little over a year and still waiting since the beginning of last Feb. for the IDPF. I've felt an obligation to do the best I could to the story behind these Army medals. It's about sacrifice and a time when "God and Country" was not nostalgia. Lots has been written about Anzio, but I think these anecdotes are worth repeating. Days before the landing, VI Corps commander John Lucas wrote in his diary, "They will end up putting me ashore with inadequate forces and get me in a serious jam... Then, who will get the blame?" and "[The operation] has a strong odor of Gallipoli and apparently the same amateur was still on the coach's bench." a reference to the man with the cigar and the V sign.

Years after the war (and Lucas had been replaced by Truscott), Lucas visited a movie set and met Audie Murphy. Lucas saluted him and offered a handshake which Murphy refused and only returned the salute. Supposedly, Murphy later said "...too damn many good men died at Anzio and Nettuno because of that son of a bitch. I'm damned if I'll shake hands with him." If Murphy had read what Lucas wrote, he might have gone easier on him. RIP to them all.

IMHO, this is one of the most stunning and fascinating groups I have ever seen. Its sense of history is almost beyond belief. The father's extended service to his new country coupled with the ultimate sacrifice of his son tears at one's emotions. If ever there was a justification for preserving the medallic history of our military, this may be it. Take that Fike!!!

If you would care to share, I think others would be interested in knowing some of the details as to how you acquired these groups, i.e., e-bay, private auction, estate sale, just got lucky, etc. Many of us still prowl dark corners of antique shops in hopes of uncovering a gem of a medal, but you have done it and I, for one, would enjoy knowing some more information on how you did so. I think that will inspire us to keep on prowling.

Thanks in advance and it is extremely satisfying to know that these amazing pieces are in such capable hands.

Schofield1943

Really incredible thread! As someone who grew up on Long Island about 15 minutes away I really appreciate all of the research - one of the most complete local groups I've ever seen.

Really incredible thread!  As someone who grew up on Long Island about 15 minutes away I really appreciate all of the research - one of the most complete local groups I've ever seen.  

I'm with you Schofield! Truly outstanding. History preserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cw- That’s how this group was found. Jim Rosloof enlisted in 1942 so we know he wouldn’t qualify for an American Defense medal. You probably noticed that out of 10 medals the only two in the right order were John's West Indies and the Good Conduct. The ETO medal correctly has four battlestars (but no arrow), while the ribbon didn’t have any devices. The only medal that he had during his lifetime was the Silver Star. Aside from the Purple Heart, what other medals were issued to the NOK at some point or what did they get on their own? I don’t know enough about how the Army issued posthumous medals after WW2 to speculate and even then, I doubt things always went according to Hoyle. The Accolade incorrectly says “North African Area” and the War Dept. sent the wrong photo on a press release. I was more interested in what wasn’t in the framed medals that wouldn’t have raised eyebrows- a CIB, a Bronze Star (that could have been applied for based on the CIB), perhaps a good conduct medal, and the New York Conspicuous Service Cross. Certainly he had uniforms, insignia, DUI, other items, that I would guess were split up among the family. After I get the IDPF I’ll look into what might have survived from the NARA fire. SGT Rosloof’s medals are my first Army research and I’m open to any suggestions or comments from Army collectors.

FFZ—Two of SGT Rosloof’s siblings now deceased lived in rural PA and these came out of an estate sale there, bought by a general collectibles dealer not a militaria guy. I’d like to say I was driving down a two-lane blacktop and just stopped in at a hole-in-the-wall storefront, but it was an ebay BIN. The guy was very straight up—he knew he could have broken it all up but said no way. He understood maybe 60% what he had, but he knew that it should all stay together. The lot was not listed as “Silver Star” or “Purple Heart” and said Sampson Medal, Span Am and WW2 medals and documents. Truth in advertising but low key and with not very good pictures. He was not aware that it was an Anzio group—and neither was I when I bought it. He said there were also firearms and a sword that came from this estate.

Schofield and Medalman- Thanks for writing. I don’t know if you guys noticed the scan of the Buffalo, NY newspaper from 23 May 1944 that carried the news story of James Rosloof’s promotion to SGT on the day he was KIA. Right next to the story was a picture of a Navy CPO with his wife and toddler son. Above that were photos of a few GIs sleeping in their foxholes that could have been “fallen” if you didn’t know they were sleeping. All coincidence and random, but it was bizarre and put a lump in my throat.

cw- Thats how this group was found. Jim Rosloof enlisted in 1942 so we know he wouldnt qualify for an American Defense medal. You probably noticed that out of 10 medals the only two in the right order were John's West Indies and the Good Conduct. The ETO medal correctly has four battlestars (but no arrow), while the ribbon didnt have any devices. The only medal that he had during his lifetime was the Silver Star. Aside from the Purple Heart, what other medals were issued to the NOK at some point or what did they get on their own? I dont know enough about how the Army issued posthumous medals after WW2 to speculate and even then, I doubt things always went according to Hoyle. The Accolade incorrectly says North African Area and the War Dept. sent the wrong photo on a press release. I was more interested in what wasnt in the framed medals that wouldnt have raised eyebrows- a CIB, a Bronze Star (that could have been applied for based on the CIB), perhaps a good conduct medal, and the New York Conspicuous Service Cross. Certainly he had uniforms, insignia, DUI, other items, that I would guess were split up among the family. After I get the IDPF Ill look into what might have survived from the NARA fire. SGT Rosloofs medals are my first Army research and Im open to any suggestions or comments from Army collectors.

Just a guess but this group could belong to more than two family members.

The American Defense Service and American Campaign Medals could belong to one of his brother in laws listed in the newspaper article.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

cw- Thats how this group was found. Jim Rosloof enlisted in 1942 so we know he wouldnt qualify for an American Defense medal. You probably noticed that out of 10 medals the only two in the right order were John's West Indies and the Good Conduct. The ETO medal correctly has four battlestars (but no arrow), while the ribbon didnt have any devices. The only medal that he had during his lifetime was the Silver Star. Aside from the Purple Heart, what other medals were issued to the NOK at some point or what did they get on their own? I dont know enough about how the Army issued posthumous medals after WW2 to speculate and even then, I doubt things always went according to Hoyle. The Accolade incorrectly says North African Area and the War Dept. sent the wrong photo on a press release. I was more interested in what wasnt in the framed medals that wouldnt have raised eyebrows- a CIB, a Bronze Star (that could have been applied for based on the CIB), perhaps a good conduct medal, and the New York Conspicuous Service Cross. Certainly he had uniforms, insignia, DUI, other items, that I would guess were split up among the family. After I get the IDPF Ill look into what might have survived from the NARA fire. SGT Rosloofs medals are my first Army research and Im open to any suggestions or comments from Army collectors.

Just a guess but this group could belong to more than two family members.

The American Defense Service and American Campaign Medals could belong to one of his brother in laws listed in the newspaper article.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

cw- Here's an interesting OMSA article on the American Defense Medal. I'd never given that medal much thought since it's so common. The knob suspension on the one in this group is round, so I would say it's a D.L Auld medal and the clasp US Mint by the prong thickness and length. I think his Army MP brother-in-law also enlisted after Pearl Harbor.

"Hubs, some dies, and some prototypes for the “FOREIGN SERVICE” clasp were produced at the Philadelphia Mint. The American Emblem Company made the original clasps, which were delivered to the Army Quartermaster in Philadelphia in boxes of 300. The Quartermaster placed these clasps on medals or in boxes as they were needed, without regard to the medal manufacturer." p. 7

According to the article, Auld had government contracts for the ADM in 9/45 and 12/45.

http://www.omsa.org/files/Carr%20&%20Menke%20ADSM.pdf

Thanks for the background on the acquisition. Like everyone else I prowl e-bay routinely but surely missed this. I'll have to set my filter differently!

Enjoy your treasure.

• 1 year later...
aerialbridge

I received Sgt. Rosloof's 90 page IDPF (individual deceased personnel file) some time back. On this 74th anniversary of the Anzio Breakout, and Sgt. Rosloof's death, it's a sobering reminder for those of us that never experienced the hell of war, and the flesh and blood history behind these medals that we are honored to be caretakers of during our lives.

post-18406-0-09419200-1527091628_thumb.jpg