Does anybody have a copy of the 1970 USAF SRU-21 Survival Vest manual,

Mr-X

Here is a pic taken of Wing Commander John Downing in December 1970 showing the same late type Velcro pocket closure SRU-21/P Survival vest and LPU combination. He is wearing a CWU-27/P flight suit.

Note the top opening zip on the later type SRU-21/P radio pocket.

CanberraAircrewl.jpg

Here is another 1970 dated photograph of Flight Lieutenant Robert Carver (MIA).

He is seen wearing an early type Press Snap pocket closure SRU-21/P, LPU and CWU-27/P flight suit.

The RAAF modification adding the triangular parachute type buckle to the chest strap of the LPU can clearly be seen.

CanberraAircrew011.jpg

Just took it off the mannequin. thumbsup.gif

Here's a couple of pics of the LPU-2/P.

It is Oct 1965 dated as are both bladders.

What the difference exactly between the LPU-2/P and the LPU-10/P ?

I know the RAAF modified their LPUs during Vietnam to have a heavy duty parachute type triangular buckle sewn on the chest strap. Note sure why though.

stuff013.jpg

Well, obviously not much. I will have to do some research as that is exactly what a LPU-10 looks like. Must be something different with the bladders. I have worn LPU-10s for almost 15 years. I guess I am going to have to dig the big manual in the sky out.

• 2 months later...
Here's a couple of pics of the LPU-2/P.

It is Oct 1965 dated as are both bladders.

What the difference exactly between the LPU-2/P and the LPU-10/P ?

The answer as I understand it is that the LPU-2 used a plastic coated canvas carrier. Then they went to a nylon carrier and re-dubbed them LPU-10's. As is always with anything military, here is the anomoly. The only thing I can think of, baring some kind of tom foolery, is that you either have a vest that the old tags were used up until exhausted, thus a transtion piece as that is the time that these were converted over. Or, some industrious Air Force ALSE guy built it by ordering parts, but only had old tags. I do not know otherwise.

• 1 year later...

Mr-X,

Just came across this post looking for other information. Here is a scan of the 1970 edition of the -10 TM. This particular copy was printed in 1981 but the TM is the 1970 edition with the 1971 change added. The military tended to do this-reprint original manuals over and over as needed to keep supplies on hand. The only change would be to the print contract info usually found on the signature page.

post-282-1264680765.jpg

post-282-1264680775.jpg

post-282-1264680785.jpg

post-282-1264680834.jpg

Charlie Flick

Mike:

Thanks very much for posting the Army version of the TM. Great stuff.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 months later...

New here to this forum and raising this post from the dead. I collect primarily US Army Aviation ALSE regarding the OV-1 Mohawk as a specific realm of equipment but also collect other Army and Air Force gear.

In regards to the LPU-2/P vs the LPU-10/P, the harness/containers and bladders etc are identical, the only difference between the 2 models is the inflator assembly used. The LPU-2's used a non-venting inflator known as the MA-1 and the LPU-10 uses a self-venting type knows as the FLU-1A/P. The FLU-1A/P vents trapped air out of the bladders whereas the MA-1 does not. The MA-1 however has a lanyard from the pull knob to a breather clip on the oral inflation tube that keeps the breather valve open. When the LPU-2 is deployed this removes the breather clip and closed the breather valve on the inflation tube.

All this information comes from Army FM 1-302 Aviation Life Support Equipment (ALSE) For Army Aircrews dated 30 April 1984.

Also stated in the above manual about the LPU-2/P is that when it becomes unserviceable, FLU-1 inflators and new cells are ordered and the 2/P becomes a 10/P. So really the only way to tell is a LPU-2/P is really a 2/P or has been converted to a 10/P is opening it up and checking the inflator assembly. Nothing cosmetic to differentiate the two LPU's. Its quite possible if you have a early dated 2/P it may have been converted to a 10/P over the years so the spec label doesn't really mean much either. I just purchased a April 1967 dated LPU-2/P, at least what may be still a 2. Now that I dug out this manual I need to actually check the inflators. If anyone is interested I can scan the page from FM 1-302 showing the 2 types of inflators. Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Also new here.

I have a few questions concerning the LPU-10/P.

Once the LPU floats have been deployed, can they be repacked and new Co2 cannisters installed?

Does anyone have the user manual for the LPU-10/P

How long do the floats stay inflated?

Where can replacement Co2 cannisters be purchased? Are they strictly military or are there civilian cannister available?

- Saafpuma

Yes, they are required to be inflated periodically as part of their inspection. There is an Army TM 5-4220-202-14/USAF TO 14S-1-102 that covers them as far as use and maintenance goes but I don't know if there is a separate "-10" for operating them specifically. Some of the Survival manuals will also describe their wear & use.

There is a 6 hour test period to see if the cells are holding pressure. How long they would stay inflated I guess depends on the conditions but I would think indefinitely. They are only supposed to remain inflated at about 2psi.

I would expect you can find replacement CO2 cartridges. They are 28gr. I haven't looked for any before but I'm pretty sure you could find them.

Thanks for that Mike.

At least now I know that if I ever have to inflate my LPU-10 I'll be able to get replacement Co2 canisters.

Now to find the TM 5-4220-202-14/TO 14S-1-102

Hi guys,

Well, I searched the net yesterday and I can't find the TM 5-4220-202-14/TO 14S-1-102 manual, does anyone happen to have a copy of it soemwhere they could scan?

Also, concerning Co2 catridges, I actyually can't find 28 grams, the most common are 12 gram adn 16 gram. I have been able to find the odd 25gram and of course 33 gram. Does anyone know what would happen if a 25 gram or 33 gram cartridge would be used on the LPU-10/P?