Help With an Unusual M1 Bayonet

Baldran

Hi there, folks. I was hoping that someone could give me some information on an M1bayonet manufactured by the Union Fork & Hoe Co., which shows some noticeable differences from other examples I've seen.

For starters, this bayonet bears a serial number within a rounded box on the right-hand side of the blade, where other U.F.H. bayonets have either a stamped date, or have been left blank. In the photo below, a standard U.F.H. bayonet is on the right, while the oddball is on the left:

post-139440-0-16808500-1483737410_thumb.jpg

The other major difference lies in the barrel ring, which in this example is much larger than on others. Again, the standard bayonet appears on the right below, while the oddball is on the left:

post-139440-0-56059900-1483737439_thumb.jpg

Other than these differences, the bayonet has the standard 10-inch blade, with a fuller that ends 2 3/4 inches from the tip. It is not a cut-down M1905. If anyone has any facts or theories to share that might help explain these discrepancies, I'd be very interested to hear them!

This was a M1 bayonet that has been modified for use on the Argentine BM59. They typically have a seven-digit serial number, but I've never seen one with the milled out area around the number. They should have a US M7 scabbard with a corresponding seven-digit number stamped near the mouth of the scabbard.

This was a M1 bayonet that has been modified for use on the Argentine BM59. They typically have a seven-digit serial number, but I've never seen one with the milled out area around the number. They should have a US M7 scabbard with a corresponding seven-digit number stamped near the mouth of the scabbard.

I've seen them milled and stamped like this one before and I assumed that it was because of foreign use, but I never noticed the change in diameter of the barrel attachment.

Mine was milled out on both bayonet and scabbard, probably to remove old serial numbers.

post-66-0-11364600-1483740646_thumb.jpg