WW I 2nd Division Lapel Pins & Trench Art

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I thought it might be interesting to see what sort of WW I, 2nd Division lapel pins and trench art bearing the 2nd Division's iconic Star & Indian head logo might be out there ... hence this thread.

I originally planned to include 2nd Division trench art, etc. in my older post, "Badges of Honor", about the development of the 2nd Division's insignia during the Great War. But, I'm sure that anyone whose visited that topic will agree that it's already way too long. Therefore I omitted the section I had planned on 2nd Division misc. and decided to partially resurrect it here.

Anyway, please post any WW I 2nd Division related lapel pins, sweetheart jewelry, trench art, etc. on which the star & Indian head has been incorporated.

I'll start things off with a number of images that I've downloaded over the years, many of which were posted elsewhere on this forum. Unfortunately, at the time of downloading I failed to note who the original posters were and am unable to credit the original posters.

Photo No. 01: By now we are all familiar with the 2nd Division's star & Indian head emblem as used on shoulder insignia like these two examples from the 2nd Engineer Regiment's HQ Detachment (black) and 2nd Battalion (yellow).

Photos courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-41791300-1483683439_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 03: During the 2nd Division's occupation of Germany stickers that were likely devised and printed in that nation, bearing that division's insignia, began turning up primarily on correspondence. I believe that the above lapel pin was inspired by these stickers.

This example has been placed of the back of a real picture postcard in the location a stamp would normally be. It is however, purely ornamental and serves no purpose because the mail of all AEF personnel sent to the United States required no postage. However, if a soldier's mail was addressed to any other country, such as Canada or England, it then required postage. The obverse of this postcard is a photograph of a member of the 9th Infantry Regiment.

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-97408200-1483684577_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 04: This comparison of the sticker & the lapel pin clearly shows the resemblance between the two images.

post-5143-0-98882900-1483684783_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 05: An enameled star & Indian head lapel pin whose origin and date of manufacture are unknown. Of the seven different 2nd Division lapel pins that I will be posting in this topic, this particular variation seems to be the most common. I'm basing that assertion on the fact that I've seen this type of pin for sale on various militaria websites more than any other variation.

post-5143-0-44952400-1483685071_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 06: The above enameled pin was apparently also made in a miniature size as one has been pinned onto the ribbon of a WW I Victory Medal and is compared to its larger counterpart. Another miniature 2nd Division pin has been affixed to a Croix de Guerre fourragere on the left.

Photo courtesy of the Big John collection

The inset on the right is of an enameled 2nd Division finger ring whose date and place of origin are unknown.

post-5143-0-11567200-1483685365_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 07: The left hand enameled 2nd Division lapel pin was likely manufactured by the same firm that made the finger ring in the previous photo.

The right hand star & Indian head lapel pin was part of a larger 2nd Division grouping that was recently sold on Bay State Militaria's website. No information was provided regarding its date or place of origin.

post-5143-0-37144100-1483685736_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 08: This enameled "2nd Division Regulars" lapel pin hails from Newark, New Jersey and was likely a post war piece sold to the returning veterans.

post-5143-0-69300600-1483685877_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 09: This 2nd Division lapel pin bearing a somewhat simplified star & Indian head insignia was manufactured in Washington DC.

post-5143-0-14956600-1483685997_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 10: This post war U.S. made "Second Division AEF" veteran's lapel pin was fabricated by Basman Brothers Co. out of Rochester, New York.

post-5143-0-18619700-1483686243_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 11: This painted or enameled (?) pendant or watch fob talisman bearing the 2nd Division's star & Indian head was once the property of a 2nd Division Marine.

Photo courtesy of the Warpath collection

post-5143-0-42356900-1483686452_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 12: This matching set comprised of a cigarette case and match safe, both of which bear enameled star and Indian head motifs were likely fabricated in either France or Germany circa 1919.

Photos courtesy of Anderson's Militaria

post-5143-0-18938900-1483686625_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 13: Close ups of the above enameled star and Indian heads.

Photos courtesy of Anderson's Militaria

post-5143-0-08830600-1483686712_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 14: This leather and silver (from elsewhere on this forum) hip-flask engraved is engraved "1918, MG Co., 5th Marines" The opposite side, who's image I've either lost or misplaced, was engraved with the star and Indian head shown in the inset.

post-5143-0-44412400-1483686928_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 15: It is not known if this artfully engraved and painted mess kit (which was also posted elsewhere on this forum) was created by its owner or whether it was a souvenir crafted by French or German artisans. Regardless, it is a wonderful example of 2nd Division related trench art.

End of post, thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-08619100-1483687191_thumb.jpg

I have a Purple Heart to Edward J. Maher who was with the 15th Company 6th Machine Gun Battalion who was wounded on June 22, 1918 when the 15th Company was in support of the 7th Infantry and then the 3rd Battalion 5th Marines in the northern third of Belleau Wood. Interestingly enough, Maher used his dog tag and the Aisne bar sent with his victory medal to fasten a sort of medallion/badge/pin device complete with a pin-back attachment device.

post-2182-0-22881200-1483766829_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-22879100-1483766840.jpg

world war I nerd

Devildog34, that's a pretty cool improvised ID badge. I wonder where he wore it ... American Legion or VFW Hall ... reunions ... at his place of employment?